It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Copy Utility tool for RTC 4.X

sandeep rao (131313) | asked Nov 16 '12, 6:04 a.m.
Hi,
One of our client has a requirement to migrate the project area and project data across RTC servers. After exploring more on copying technique he came across availability of  RTC Copy Utility Tool to copy project area across the RTC servers.

Our Concern : Our RTC Servers are RTC 4.0.0.1 version and I want a confirmation is the Copy Utility tool exists for RTC 4.x. If yes where shall I download that Copy Utility Tool.

Thanks in Advance...

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 16 '12, 9:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of a tool that migrates/copies project areas and their content. This is a popular enhancement request, but I am not aware of any tool out of the box (except the built in work item copy/move tool). There is a tool for doing bulk move/copy that can be found here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/BulkMoveWorkItemsBetweenProjectAreas it assumes you install a client that is compatible to your server and of a version where this tool is provided for to install it.
sandeep rao selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Rajnikanth Srinivasan (1366) | answered Dec 18 '12, 4:20 a.m.
So the bulk move/copy tool is useful if it is across the same server ? or can it be used across servers ? under same JTS or different JTS ?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Dec 18 '12, 4:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would suggest you to set up test systems and try it. I am not sure how it works. Please be also aware that it is not a supported tool.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Dec 18 '12, 7:56 a.m.
the problem with cross server copy is how to resolve collisions where the workitem IDs are already used.
In the same server its pretty easy, you change a couple fields and the workitem shows up in the other project workarea..

cross server there is no guaranty any of the data structures exis, does the project exis? (same project? or different one?) and all the attachments, and all the related source and history.. what happens to the workitem history?  the dates all change..

we created a tool to do some of this, but its still only about 94-95% and there is manual touchup.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.