It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Timeline Restriction

Bharath Adhithya (5213346) | asked Nov 16 '12, 12:09 a.m.
edited Nov 17 '12, 12:48 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Is it possible to restrict the Planned-For field of a work item to be an iteration in a valid timeline?  We have got two team areas in a project and a different timelines for each team area. But when a user sets the Filed-Against property of the work item assigned to one team area (based on its Filed-Against field), they are allowed to select an iteration that is not in the timeline of that team area.

Thanks,
adhithya

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 16 '12, 12:38 a.m. | edited Nov 16 '12, 12:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why do you want prevent two team areas from using the same timeline?    One of the best ways to keep two teams in a synchronized rhythm is to have them both use the same timeline.

Bharath Adhithya commented Nov 16 '12, 12:49 a.m.

Both team areas have different project releases so we have created two different timelines.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 16 '12, 2:12 a.m. | edited Nov 16 '12, 2:14 a.m.

I don't think I understand the question.   In general, a set of timelines is created for a project area.  The team lead of a team area will select the timeline that is appropriate for that team.   There's no way to automatically enforce that the team lead picks the "right" timeline, since only the team lead knows what is the right timeline for that team.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 16 '12, 3:34 a.m.

I agree that the question is unclear. You associate a team area to a timeline once. Then the association is done and stays unless changed. It is possible to restrict who can change this. So I guess I don't get the point.

Bharath Adhithya commented Nov 16 '12, 4:00 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I have associated the timeline with the respective team areas. When i create a work item and select the planned for field i get timelines of both team areas , If i select from the timeline of Team B for Team A's work item it should not allow me to save. Is it possible to apply such restriction?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 17 '12, 12:50 a.m.
No, unfortunately, that restriction is not currently enforced.  The work item requesting this enhancement is Work item filed against category should filter 'planned for' elements (81316) .  Please feel free to add a comment to that work item, indicating your interest/support.   I agree this filtering should be done.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.