It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CLM workflows

Norman Dignard (356688168) | asked Nov 15 '12, 10:13 a.m.
In setting up a lifecycle project RM/QM/RTC - using the out of the box processes, are the defect/cp workflows the same dependant on what options are selected?

For example if you select
-  RM with change management
- QM with change management
and RTC- formal process or agile,
are the workflows the same as a project using RM/QM without change management?

norm

2 answers

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Nov 16 '12, 7:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Norm,

The processes and workflows are dependent upon which Process/Project Template the individual project areas use.  For example, the Quality Professional, Analyst, Developer lifecycle template uses Requirements Template for Testers, Scrum, and Quality Management Default v3 Process by default.  When you click on a lifecycle template, you can see which templates will be used for each project area.  You have the option of modifying these templates so they fit whatever workflow you desire. 

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Apr 24 '13, 8:21 a.m.

Thanks Lauren however I think I need to clarify my question.  As it is, there is no documentation that I've found describing what the out of the box process templates implement. 

What I am mostly interested in is the workflow/process enforcements that get put in place dependent on which template is used. The only method I found so far was to create a project and go through a mapping exercise to find out for example what a defect record type workflow is.

Take the scenario - using RTC/DNG/RQM  with or without separate areas for RM Change or QM tasks or as stand-alone projects

For the RTC setup you select formal - this implements a set of work item types and workflow.

If you select all 3 apps with separate areas for RM/QM - does this change a workflow for say a defect work item as opposed to a standalone RTC project?  What other work items types, etc. are introduced into RTC as part of the 3 was setup as opposed to a standalone RTC or RM project.

Indradri Basu commented Apr 24 '13, 9:36 a.m. | edited Apr 24 '13, 9:40 a.m.

The default RTC project templates were created keeping different types of project management approaches in mind along with some best practices.
You can get some introduction about the OOTB RTC process templates here

Secondly, you can also take a look at LifeCycle Project templates where you set associations between different artifacts across applications. You can get some information here

If I understand your question correctly then Workitem types vary based on the process templates and you can have your own customized process template if you want to introduce new workitem types with different workflows.

Norman Dignard commented Apr 26 '13, 7:48 a.m.

Thanks for the info however I was aware of the info in the docs which is just boiler plate info. It does not go into the details of what the processes/workflows are, hence my question. The only means of discovering this info is to actually create  various projects with the out-of-the-box templates and go through a mapping exercise. 
Not very practical when your trying to find out if these processes meet you needs prior to a project setup.

Indradri Basu commented Apr 26 '13, 10:52 a.m. | edited Apr 26 '13, 10:59 a.m.

I agree but if you are specifically interested in understanding the workflows of different  workitem types that comes with the default process templates, then you can have a look at RTC WorkFlow Visualiser . You can just export the process template and use the tool to get a graphical view of the workflows thus avoiding creating a project area. Thanks to Honza and I personally liked it.

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Apr 26 '13, 11:36 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is a pretty basic tool which allows you to visualize your workflows, with the Workflow Visualizer mentioned by Indradri.  It isn't an officially supported tool, but I use it all of the time and the thing is really nice.  It's easy to setup and install, and you can generally get what you are looking for in about 30 minutes.  It works great in my Linux environment, and I have heard people rave about it in their own Windows environments as well.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.