It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are there performance issues running the database and JTS/CLM servers on the same physical server?

Victor Campbell (3502618) | asked Nov 06 '12, 3:11 p.m.
Our DBA wants to move our SQLServer database to the same server the runs our RTC 4.0 JTS and CLM servers.  Is there a performance issue running the database and application servers on the same physical server?

One answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Nov 06 '12, 4:37 p.m.
I'll answer with a qualified "that depends".  In this case the size,activity of what you're hosting could impact performance.  It will impact the performance if only from the fact that more work will be placed on the same machine.   The biggest performance wedge comes when memory use is so high that the operating system is forced to swap to virtual memory forcing the workload to be "i/o bound" waiting on reading/writing memory pages to/from disk.

My experience has moved from having too few resources (many repositories, few machines) to one where resource limitations are much less a concern.    E.g. > 5 application servers + databases on same machine with limited RAM (32g) to LPAR with 80Gb ram, running 20+ repositories, separate database host.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.