It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Do custom attributes propagate in child project's process configuration

Chirayu Patel (4611012) | asked Nov 02 '12, 4:33 p.m.

I am getting an error "TypeError: this.getWorkItem().getAttribute(...) is null or not an object" when creating work items. Here is the description.

Based on sharing project process area concept - as per this link https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.platform.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_sharing_project_area_process.html&re=1&scope=null

I have created a master project ( based on Scrum template) where I have customized Task and Defect work item type ( i.e added few custom attributes and coded some validation scripting and operation participants.

I then created a child project based on UnConfigured Process template and inherited process ( "Use the process option ) from the master project ( which is shared ).

When I try to create Tasks in child project I get the above mentioned error. However if I try to create another work item type ( let's say Retrospective ) in child project it doesn't throw error. FYI - I have NOT customized Restrospective type at all (untouched).

This gives me a feeling that process inheritance from parent project area to child only works for default out of box process. Any time a custom attribute is added to any work item type, the child does NOT pick up that process changes.

Has some one came across this situation? If then how was it resolved ( if resolved )?

Thanks,

Chirayu

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 04 '12, 3:52 p.m.
we haven't seen an problem like this,, we have lots of custom fields, workflows and presentation modifications

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 03 '12, 2:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I personally have had no problems inheriting customized process.  One thing to check first is that you have done no work item process customization in the child project area (if so, that would break the connection between the child project area and the master project area).  Another thing to check is to restart your server and all your clients, just to make sure this isn't a caching problem.

Comments
Chirayu Patel commented Nov 04 '12, 1:45 p.m.

Hello Geoffrey,
I am 100 % sure I haven't done any process customization in child area. I created child project based on "Unconfigured Process template", inherited process from parent and tested the child project right away where I encountered error. Secondly I have made sure the server was restarted after creating child project but still the same problem. I tested using Web client so I haven't restarted my RTC eclipse client. Not sure if that is needed.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 04 '12, 10:04 p.m.

You'll probably want to work with support on this, since it doesn't sound like it is something others are running into.

Chirayu Patel commented Nov 05 '12, 12:50 p.m.

I think I was able to figure out the issue. Custom attribute exist in the presentation but was removed from attribute definition. Now I don't see that specific error but see another one. In web client a pop appears indicating "Error : Unknown type". After some investigation in Sys.out, it appears that there is a validation script ( javascript) applied to a custom attribute and it says

"webapp        E com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebApp logServletError SRVE0293E: [Servlet Error]-[equinoxbridgeservlet]: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Resource does not exist: com.example.isAppSysSet.js"

If I remove the validation, it works fine but adding it again throws above error when I create Task in child project.

Does your parent-child project setup inherit validations without any issue?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 05 '12, 11:01 p.m.

Glad you were able to track this down!  I don't have any validation scripts in my master project areas, so that could certainly explain why you are seeing a problem and I'm not.  I've seen other areas where certain aspects of a shared process area are not inherited as expected (for example, a known issue is that database enumeration values cannot be defined/used in a child project area).  So I'd definitely recommend submitting this issue to either Rational Support or as a work item on jazz.net, so the dev team can track down what is going on.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.