It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does DoorsNG works within a CLM 4.0.1 system?

Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | asked Nov 02 '12, 4:54 a.m.
I read different articles in jazz.net (e.g. Rational requirments management tools or Comparing Rational DOORS Next Generation with Rational Doors and also participated on the DoorsNG Webcast in October 2012.

But I still do not exactly understand how DoorsNG is integrated into a CLM v.4.0.1 environment. I learned there will be a common RM part, for DoorsNG and for RRC. I also heared, there will be a DoorsNG Web Client which is an enhancment/evolution of the RRC web client. And I have understood, if you use DoorsNG functionality either in the DoorsNG fullclient or in the Doors-NG webclient you need a Doors 9 or a DoorsNG client license.

But the question how this works, if I have RRC (CLM) projectareas and DoorsNG projects, (which I want to migrated from Doors 9x), within same Jazz instance (e.g. single WAS server), is unclear to me.
Do we have TWO Web clients and TWO RM applications? A DoorsNG-web client parallel to the RRC web client? Or do we have just an extended RRC where the DoorsNG functionality or RRC functionality is enabled/disabled based on the project setup underneath?
Can I read with RRC a DoorsNG module or does this need a DoorsNG webclient?
I do not want to have different Webclients for Requirements management. This should be managed by the licenses and project setup.

Maybe the two articles, meantioned above should be enhanced/updated to make it more clear for mixed Companies with System Engineering/Mechatronics-waterfall projects AND agile IT-projects within same Infrastructures. The world is not black and white.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Nov 02 '12, 7:29 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 02 '12, 7:30 a.m.
DOORS NG and RRC are products
You install their Analyst license activation kits on a Jazz Team Server
These licenses enable various capabilities, including the following:
  • RM application: (Read/Write)
  • CCM application (R/W work item system, including planning)
  • QM application (R test artifacts)
These licenses unlock capabilities on the same RM application.
So if you have both RRC and DOORS NG licenses installed on the same JTS, users of both can interact with data on the same projects (assuming you give them the right permissions).

So one RM application on the JTS ... and same web UI
Serving users of both license types
(in addition DOORS NG ships with an optional rich client)

DOORS 9 has a separate server and rich client which do not interact directly with the Jazz RM application, But you can exchange data via ReqIF, link between projects using OSLC linking, and (with the Rational Publishing Engine) create document templates that pull data from both DOORS 9 and Jazz RM projects.

Note that ReqIF provides a way to exchange data, but this is not a full migration of DOORS 9. 
Guido Schneider selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Guido Schneider commented Nov 02 '12, 7:46 a.m.

Thank you Daniel,

Now it's clear and exactly like I thought, but we had internaly discussions in my team and at the end we were unsure.

I'm quite sure you will see us, as customers of DoorsNG full Client mixed with RRC on Web in near future. It's the answer I required for internal selling Jazz to the more "conservative" people.

2 other answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Dec 04 '12, 7:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This detailed whitepaper in the jazz.net library provides more information:

permanent link
Manoj Panda (39336662) | answered Dec 04 '12, 7:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am still not clear like when to use RRC and Doors NG though both are using JTS.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.