It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I report on relationship between build and requirement?

Mark Blaschke (1636) | asked Nov 01 '12, 9:52 p.m.
I would like to know if there is a way from RTC to produce a query or report that shows for a build, the associated work item and requirement associated to work item?  I think the only way to do this is with RRDI, but would like to know if it can be done from just the base RTC install.

One answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Nov 02 '12, 8:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Mark,
I couldn't quickly find an out of the box report that will work for you but one could exist.  Something that may meet your needs.....

1.  Open the build result in the Eclipse client
2.  On the Overview tab, in the Contribution Summary, there is a field called Work items.  Click on the value (like "7 included in build")
3.  The list of work items will be displayed as query results in the Work Items tab.
4.  Click the Pencil icon (it will be in the same general area as the Work Items tab)
5.  Here you'll see a query with an "Id is" condition and the list of ids
6.  Go to the Column Display -- See if you can add the Implements Requirement column.  I wasn't able to, and I'm not sure why.  If you are, then add it and click Run.  Then you'll have a list of associated works items and their requirements.
7.  If you can't add the Implements Requirement column, go back to the Conditions tab.  Copy the list of Ids.
8.  Create a new query using the list of work item Ids and add the Implements Requirement column.  (I had to go to the web client in order to be able to add the Implements Requirement column.)  Run the query.

Comments

Mark Blaschke commented Nov 02 '12, 8:56 a.m.

Thanks for your answer, and yes I can see that working; but for one small additional detail I left out.
I'm using Money that Matters as a base from which to create the information. It follows the scum process, which is all fine.
The problem is that the WI included in the build is the Task. The Implemented Requirement is in the Parent Story of the Task. So missing a level of indirection in the capability of the query.
Any thoughts on that?

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Nov 02 '12, 9:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I didn't realize your work items included in the build were not directly linked to the requirements.  I can't think of a way to get around that extra level of linking.

Mark Blaschke commented Nov 02 '12, 12:17 p.m. | edited Nov 02 '12, 12:39 p.m.

I found this might help, If in the build record I add the 'Story' Work Item, then in the Plan->Traceability view I can get the desired result.

So question is there a way to have the parent 'Story' of the Task in the Build automatically added to the build result record?

Edit: I realize doing this automatically may not be the best option, especially if you only want to see the final/production build.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Nov 02 '12, 12:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not sure if it would help you, but if you create a query like I mentioned in my original answer, you can choose to add Parent, Implements Requirements, and Included in Builds columns.

I don't know of a way to have the parent story of the task automatically added to the build result record but perhaps someone else does.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.