It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Where the developers are putting their code for the testers to do testing in RTC and RQM scenario?

sneha bate (1731012) | asked Oct 31 '12, 6:47 a.m.
We have installed CLM4.0 
we use RTC for source control and RQM for testing
please tell me how particular code or executable is sent for testing in RQM?

(As per my knowledge there are two ways

1. Using Stream
  2. Using Shared Location )

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Oct 31 '12, 6:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 31 '12, 7:00 a.m.
If your testers need access to the code, the easiest way for them to access it would probably be through the stream in RTC. 

In our process, the developers write their own unit tests.  Release engineering builds the product using RTC.  The test teams don't look at the code--they use the built product for testing.  They access the builds in RTC and deploy it to their test servers.  From there, they can either run tests themselves and report the results in RQM, or they can use RQM to kick off automated tests.
sneha bate selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
sneha bate commented Oct 31 '12, 7:05 a.m.

Ok.But what are the pros and cons of this solution? 

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Oct 31 '12, 7:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm wondering if I misunderstood your question.  Were you asking how RQM could access the code under test or how RQM could access the automated tests?

sneha bate commented Oct 31 '12, 7:25 a.m.

i was asking about how RQM can access the code under test? what are the possible ways to do the same?  

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Oct 31 '12, 7:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't think RQM can currently access source code in Jazz source control.  We have an enhancement request open for RQM to access test code stored in Jazz source control:  Allow RQM to access tests stored in Jazz Source Control (58248).

What is your scenario for RQM needing to access the code under test?  Does it need access to the actual code base or does it need to access to your built product?  In our case, we don't have RQM access our code under test as developers handle all white box testing.  Our test teams that utilize RQM only test the built product for black box testing. 

We deploy through automation as part of our build process, we deploy using DevOps, we deploy manually, or we deploy through RQM by accessing the Jazz builds (more information about how we do this is available at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMAutomationFramework).  From there, the tests can either be kicked off inside or outside of RQM.  The results are then reported in RQM either manually or automatically.

One other answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Oct 31 '12, 7:01 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Automated test scripts can exist on the local test machine or a shared location.

Comments
Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Oct 31 '12, 7:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

We also have an enhancement request open to allow RQM to access tests stored in Jazz source control:  Allow RQM to access tests stored in Jazz Source Control (58248)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.