It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Custom report for time spent by user, by task and by month

Ana Lopez-Mancisidor (25648967) | asked Oct 29 '12, 2:24 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

A customer is using the Scrum template without adding the "time tracking" functionality from the Traditional Formal Project Management template. They would like to create a custom report showing the activity (time spent) by each user and by task per month (not by iteration). As users will use the time spent attribute to input time spent each day, there is not a detailed info of the time dedicated by day (only through searches in the detailed history of the WI).

As far as I know, the DW WI tables store the total time spent value for each WI but there is not detailed info of when each time addition was entered by the user, so I don't have this info to create the detailed report. Is there something I am missing and could this info be extracted from other WI historical tables or the only info available is the total time spent by each WI but not detailed inputs for this attributes with corresponding timestamps by user and date?.

If customer uses the traditional template and WI time tracking, could this detailed monthly report be created?

Many thanks,

Ana

2 answers

permanent link
Marco Chouinard (31) | answered Mar 22 '13, 1:14 p.m.
I have the same problem as Ana. I need to report the time per week per person.
I looked across the databse of RTC to find historical data of the time spent but I don't found where this information is stored.
I need help. Someone has an idea or solved the problem ?

Comments
Eitan Shomrai commented Mar 24 '13, 9:29 p.m.

We solved it by adding the time track tab to Scrum template and leveraging RPE's powerful capabilities for REST reporting. It's a lot of work, but we needed in a POC situation last year..

I'd rather recommend to wait for one of the child tasks of WorkItem 213855, like https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=242776 relevant at 4.0.3

permanent link
Vladimir Amelin (70472226) | answered Oct 29 '12, 4:36 p.m.
edited Oct 29 '12, 4:37 p.m.
 Hi Ana,

When using Time Spent attribute instead of Time Tracking tab you can't say exactly which day(s) this time belongs to. Owner can update Time Spent before he plans to work on this task or afterwards (more usual scenario). So you have to rely on start date\finish date and distribute hours spent between all working days. But still this approach has weak points:
- of suggesting work is distributed evenly (it's not true usually)
- start and finish dates are entered accurately (once you pass it to human there's always possibility of mistake)
The more hours spent on task the less accurate your report is.

In my opinion only way to create nice monthly report is to engage Time Tracking tab. In this case you can use BIRT to fetch detailed timesheets for every entry(day) and implement quite custom and complex logic like filtering weekends or considering part of time spent on interval's borders. Good luck!

Comments
Eitan Shomrai commented Oct 30 '12, 7:01 p.m.

This is exactly -  the monthly report - what my customer asks for!
In addition she wants to enforce each developer to report every day the time spent on a task (so a user can say I spent 3 hours, or 0 hours on a task), but wants a report that shows if a developer did not report on each day.
Yes they want a very strict timely reporting system, based on the Time Spent value, with or without the Time Tracking entry. Any more ideas?
Thanks!

Vladimir Amelin commented Oct 31 '12, 2:36 a.m.

If you would like to check the time\day of entering timesheet entries - it's possible during save work item action only (no such data exposed for BIRT). 

There is no such feature out-of-box(strict every-day reporting), but I have suggestion:
At the end of every working day\month you can generate report for contributors who don't have any timesheet entries for today\some days. 

David Murphy commented Jan 25 '13, 12:26 p.m.

Does anyone want to share the BIRT template for such a report?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.