It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Does RTC supports Common Team Areas for multiple project areas ?

Prasad Annamdasu (15453643) | asked Oct 28 '12, 5:51 p.m.
 Hi, 

Does RTC supports Common Team Areas for multiple project areas ?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 28 '12, 9:13 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
No, a team area is a member of exactly one project area.   Since a team area inherits many things from a project area (such as categories and work item types), it wouldn't make sense for a team area to belong to multiple project areas.   What were you trying to achieve?

Comments
Prasad Annamdasu commented Oct 28 '12, 11:05 p.m.

Hi Geoffrey, 

In RTC we create approx. 1000 Projects in a month. 
There are almost 10 teams which work in each project.

Just trying to reduce the Admin activities during the each project creation.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 29 '12, 1:00 a.m. | edited Oct 29 '12, 1:00 a.m.

Creating a new project should not normally result in the creation of a new "project area".   A project area is "the place where projects are performed".  In particular, if a team finishes a project, and begins work on a new project, there usually is no reason to create a new project area or team area, but rather you can just continue to use the existing team area for the new project.  Is there something in your environment that would prevent you from doing that?

Prasad Annamdasu commented Oct 29 '12, 5:12 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey, 

Can u pls brief the difference between Project and project Area ?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 29 '12, 11:00 a.m.

A "project" is a user/customer-defined concept.   It is whatever your company thinks of as a "project".   A "project area" is an object in the RTC repository.  The use of the term "project area" to name this object has good and bad points.   One of the bad points is that it leads people to think that every new project requires a new project area.

Prasad Annamdasu commented Oct 31 '12, 6:55 a.m.

Hi Geoffrey,

In my case, i use RTC integrated with Focalpoint.

Integration helps me too create the new Project Area in RTC everytime there is an approved project in focalpoint.

When a project is created in RTC the custom template creates 12 team areas & i need to add the users manually to the team areas everytime.

Is there some option to use  teamareas common for every projectarea ?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.