It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

NullPointerExceptions during project area initialization

Peter Walker (168136) | asked Oct 25 '12, 1:20 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC 4 - ccm, a project area called "RAM Lifecycle" was created from a template. But for some unknown reason the project area was not initialized. On the Active Project Areas page, the action to initialize the project was enabled. When I click on it, an info message shows "Project area intialization in progress..." but it never finishes. In the ccm.log there are several same stack traces with NullPointerExceptions:
2012-10-25 09:39:48,609 [              WebContainer : 1] ERROR com.ibm.team.process.common                         -
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.KeyedHashSet$EquinoxSetIterator.hasNext(KeyedHashSet.java:462)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.resolver.StateImpl.getFragments(StateImpl.java:598)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.resolver.BundleDescriptionImpl.getFragments(BundleDescriptionImpl.java:160)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.resolver.StateHelperImpl.addReference(StateHelperImpl.java:300)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.resolver.StateHelperImpl.buildReferences(StateHelperImpl.java:293)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.resolver.StateHelperImpl.buildReferences(StateHelperImpl.java:287)
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.resolver.StateHelperImpl.sortBundles(StateHelperImpl.java:239)
    at com.ibm.team.process.internal.service.ProjectAreaInitializerRegistry.getInitializers(ProjectAreaInitializerRegistry.java:117)
    at com.ibm.team.process.internal.service.InitializeProjectAreaOperation.loadInitializers(InitializeProjectAreaOperation.java:64)
    at com.ibm.team.process.internal.service.InitializeProjectAreaOperation.run(InitializeProjectAreaOperation.java:49)

As a result, using RTC client API calls, the 3 special attributes for the workitem types needed in RAM can't be found even though they show up on the web UI. I use the following API to retrieve the attributes... all return null.
  IProjectAreaHandle ph = getProjectHandle(hProjectArea);
  IWorkItemClient wiClient = getClientLibrary(IWorkItemClient.class);
  IWorkItemType witype = wiClient.findWorkItemType(ph, workflowIdentifier, null);
  IAttribute repoattr = wiClient.findAttribute(ph, PROPERTY_REPOID, null);
  IAttribute assetLinkattr = wiClient.findAttribute(ph, PROPERTY_ASSET_LINK, null);
  IAttribute activeStateHistoryattr = wiClient.findAttribute(ph, PROPERTY_STATE_HISTORY_ACTIVE, null);

Any ideas as to what could be wrong with the project area initialization?

Comments
Peter Walker commented Oct 25 '12, 2:52 p.m.

I've opened an RTC defect to track this problem since it's a major defect for RAM -->
Defect 238516

One answer

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Oct 25 '12, 2:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This looks like a defect. Can you please open a workitem, including this stack trace and details of your server configuration?

Here's the URL to submit a defect: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

For the Filed Against field, please select Process.

Comments
Peter Walker commented Oct 25 '12, 3:05 p.m.

Jared.. sorry I missed your answer so I already create defect 238516 against RTC and I can't update the Project Area field to Jazz Foundation. Can you update the defect?
Also, what details are you looking for with regards to server configuration? Windows server? WAS version?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.