It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Moving Jazz tool databases from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008 R2

Ken Murphy (1033235) | asked Oct 18 '12, 2:10 p.m.
We are at 3.0.1.2 of the CLM solutions.  We are currently using them in conjunction with SQL Server 2005 databases on DBServer1.  In order to prepare ourselves for an upgrade to v4 in a month or two, we want to move the databases to DBServer2, which is SQL Server 2008 R2.  What is the recommended procedure for accomplishing this?  Is this documented somewhere (I've not been able to find it if it is)?

Do we use SQL Server tools to move the database and then access the Jazz tool admin pages to update the database server information?  Are there any config files that need to be updated first (we install the Jazz tools in WAS)?  I would think that we need to stop the Jazz tools, back up the databases, perform the database moves, and then bring the tools back up?  Is it advisable or even mandatory that all 4 databases (RTC, RQM, RRC/JTS, and data warehouse) be moved at one time?

Thanks in advance, Ken.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Oct 18 '12, 2:44 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ken,

Is the new SQL Server 2008 on a different machine?  If not, all you should have to do is stop the applications, restore the databases to the new install of SQL Server, and start them back up.  This is assuming that you're just upgrading SQL Server on the same machine (ie - the machine host name/IP is unchanged, as well as the instance name).  Otherwise, see below:

If the new SQL Server it is on a different machine, you'll need to stop the applications, restore the databases, update the teamserver.properties (../CLM_Install/server/conf/<app name>/teamserver.properties) for each application (JTS/RM, QM, CCM) to reflect the new location of the database server, or run the jts/setup to update the configuration.  Since you're using the data warehouse, it might be easiest to run jts/setup to update all the database locations instead of going through each DB property in each teamserver.properties, especially if the DB account credentials have changed.

There is also no requirement to move the databases all at once if you wanted to do them one at a time.  Hope it helps!
Ken Murphy selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ken Murphy (1033235) | answered Oct 19 '12, 2:00 p.m.
Thank you for your response, Benjamin.  We will give this procedure a shot and I will reply back here afterwards.  This may take a couple of weeks before we are actually able to perform the database moves.

Comments
Rama SCM commented Jan 22 '13, 2:59 p.m.

Hi Ken,

Did you move your database from 2005 to 2008? Was it as simple as backing up db's in 2005, restoring in 2008 and changing the teamserver.properties file to point to new databases?

Thanks!
Rama

permanent link
Ken Murphy (1033235) | answered Jan 23 '13, 8:59 a.m.
Yes Rama.  It really was this simple.  We just backed up the databases in 2005, restored them in 2008, and changed the teamserver.properties file to point to new databases.  I have now marked Benjamin's answer as the correct answer.  I should have done this earlier.

Comments
Rama SCM commented Jan 23 '13, 12:49 p.m.

Great!! Thanks for the answer!!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.