It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prepare a Changeset without changing the Source?

Muthukumar C (32712833) | asked Oct 08 '12, 9:19 a.m.
edited Oct 08 '12, 9:23 a.m.
hi,

It seems that a Source control change set can be prepared If and only if I am doing some changes in the source file.

I want to include a files into change set which is not changed in the Local repository. Is it possible?

This will be useful in the following scenario.

For a development, two different change sets will be delivered to testing team. Which ever is approved first, that change set will be delivered to client. But, to make sure that some base files are present in both the change set, I want to include a file in both the change set even there is no modification in the source file.

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 08 '12, 9:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

as far as I know a change set can actually only contain files that have actually changed.

How this is supposed to work with RTC: The fix is against some baseline/build/release. The test engineers should have repository workspaces loaded with the baseline the changes are supposed to go in. Then they can accept the changes into their repository workspace which will contain all the other files needed.

Comments
Muthukumar C commented Oct 08 '12, 11:45 p.m. | edited Oct 09 '12, 12:46 p.m.

Ralph,

I understood the RTC flow and there is no problem regarding the testers since they are using Local repositories.

But we are depending on Change Set when delivering developments to clients.
So, its not sure which change set the testers will complete first. for example, if change set 2 got tested first and the same was delivered to the client without a dependency file which we included in change set 1, in such case, testers local repo will have this file but the same will be missed in client side. it will create problem,

So rephrasing my question, Is it possible to add a same file in more than one change set?

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 09 '12, 10:01 a.m.

Not that I would be aware without changing the file.

Muthukumar C commented Oct 09 '12, 10:35 a.m. | edited Oct 09 '12, 10:36 a.m.

Ralph,

Today we faced another scenario. That a Developer deleted his change set from the Work item. But we are unable to recreate the same change set with same files. Because, during deliver RTC repository is updated with that files already. Hence no pending changes is showing to prepare the change set already.

How to handle this kind of situations?

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 09 '12, 10:59 a.m.

You can search for change sets by various criteria and add them back to the work item.

In general for all I know, the RTC SCM today is optimized to work with streams, baselines and snapshots. It is not file based and there are, as far as I can tell no file versions available.

You can, based on a baseline, create repository workspaces and you can accept single changesets from work items into a repository workspace (as long as there are no gaps).

A change set does not represent a file but the change to the file. You can, as far as I can tell load a files that are represented by a change set to a local location. However, finally RTC is only interested in the difference between the local workspace and the stream it points to.

I am not aware of another usage model. However there are people that are more capable in Jazz SCM then I am and might be able to correct me. 

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 09 '12, 12:45 p.m.
What you appear to be looking for are "change set dependencies".  I.e. you want to say "when someone accepts this change set, I want to require that they take these other change sets".   This enhancement is requested in work item Allow a change-set to have child change-sets (change sets it semantically depends on) (71191) .   If this is what you had in mind, you can add a comment to that work item indicating your interest/support.

Comments
Muthukumar C commented Oct 09 '12, 11:46 p.m. | edited Oct 09 '12, 11:47 p.m.

hi,

What I am talking about is nothing related with Internal office / Local repository synchronization. We can even deliver the change set one after another to ensure the dependencies.

We have developed some plug-in which will generate Release Pack which will be delivered to the client. This process is totally depends on CHANGE SETS. So, I want to ensure that some important files will be present in all the change Set of a work item. So, which ever change set is processed and delivered first, my files will present there.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 10 '12, 12:39 a.m.

I am not sure what "internal office / Local repository synchronization" is referring to.
But in any case, how does "which ever change set is processed and delivered first, my files will present there" differ from the definition of work item 71191, which is "dependent change sets should always be delivered or accepted when A is delivered or accepted". 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.