It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Moving work items across repository

Sunita Dinakar (11413742) | asked Oct 05 '12, 12:56 a.m.
 Hi,

I understand that there is a work item in jazz.net for moving project areas across repository, but is there a feature to move the work items alone from one project area to another?

Regards,
Sunita

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 05 '12, 6:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sunita,

here my thoughts.

The history. To keep it, you would have to recreate the work item state by state. I would throw it away or look into if you can import the old history into a text attribute.

Have you tried to pass the ID with the import. ? am not sure if that helps.

Why do you want the same ID? If you want it to be able to tie automation e.g. to locate the old work item to upload attachments or to recreate links, please look here. My proposal would be to create an attribute with the old ID at the target work item during the import. That allows to identify the source later and to do all kinds of automation.

If there are other reasons for keeping the ID, can you explain them?

If there is no way around keeping the ID......

This could be dangerous, Please don't try that at home and I am not responsible for any trouble, but.....

while creating a work item in a repository using the Plain java client Libraries as described here, you can actually set the ID. If the ID is already taken, you are in trouble, but if the new repo is empty......

You could create the new work items using an input file e.g. with ID and summary and then use the CSV import to update the other attributes.

Don't tell anyone I wrote this.

Sunita Dinakar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sunita Dinakar commented Oct 05 '12, 6:15 a.m.

:) Thanks again Ralph, my lips are sealed !

The idea behind this assignment was to completely isolate a particular project area from the current repository we use. The reason behind this is, our repository is growing day to day and this project by itself is very large (users+data). However, we are still in the initial phase to see if this would fit our deployment and we would be testing in an empty database without disturbing the Production environment. 

Once again thank you for all the links provided and I will post later on how we come around this.

Regards,
Sunita

2 other answers

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Oct 05 '12, 9:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Individual work items can be moved from one project area to another project area on the same repository.

In the Eclipse work item editor, click the drop-down arrow next to the item number and select Move/Copy to Project Area. In the Web UI work item editor, there is an icon in upper right above the Save button.

Comments
Morten Madsen commented Jan 08 '13, 6:59 a.m.

Does anyone know, if this operation (Move/Copy) work item to other project area, can be invoked using the Plain Java Client? Something tells me it is not as simple as that .... ;).

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 05 '12, 5:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 05 '12, 5:12 a.m.
Hi Sunita,

moving the work items from one repository to another is just a sub problem of project area move/copy.

Up to today, as far as I know, there is no built in feature that does this and addresses all data. It is possible to use CSV export/import to get parts of the data copied/moved. There are ways to "massage" work items after the import e.g. to upload attachments, subscribing  and recreating links between things.

I have looked into it, helped others with parts of it. There are a lot of projects that have used the techniques from the links above to do what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, there is no built in feature today. And after looking at it, it is also not trivial, especially if taking into consideration that users might want to move from a different version of RTC to a newer one. Even if that is not the case, coding up the code to be able to copy all attribute types is not trivial, especially if you look at iterations, categories and enumerations, and other data where you have to look up the data based on an external string.

I would try to get away with CSV and a minimal amount of custom automation.

Comments
Sunita Dinakar commented Oct 05 '12, 5:51 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the links provided.

We would love to use the CSV method too, but we are afraid of loosing the history of the work item and more importantly the work item id also changes when we export/import using a CSV. Is there a way to avoid this problem?

Regards,
Sunita 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.