It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why do I consume a RRC Analyst and a RQM Professional License if I work in RTC (/ccm) only

Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | asked Oct 04 '12, 9:56 a.m.
We see a severe issue with license management in a CLM environment.

Example:
  1. A user has a RRC Analyst floating, a RTC Developer floating and a RQM professional floating license assigend.
  2. he connects to the CCM context root with the Web Client /ccm/web and logs in
  3. he works within CCM. He never goes into RRC nor into RQM

Problem:
Sometime the user borrows a RRC Analyst or a RQM Professional license. I do not know why. 

Has anybody understood the mechanism behind the license borrow mechanism? I thought it's action depending, what kind of license I need. So which actions out of RTC needs licenses from other tools?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Oct 04 '12, 10:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Table 1 describes the license overview

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_license_mgmt_over.html

Now an RRC Analyst is need when:
  • Creating requirements or collections
  • Creating custom requirement types in the Requirements Management application
  • Creating and editing project and artifact templates for requirements
  • Creating and editing graphical requirements artifacts such as screen flows, user interface sketches, and use case diagrams
Is this user performing any of these actions? If not then I don't know why an RRC Analyst license would be consumed because actions like commenting, reviewing and linking to requirements are covered by the RTC license.

Now that said if the user is logging in new for the day, and only uses floating licenses, the floating license server might be randomly allocating the first license it finds that satisfies an action, for example say the user needs to create a work item, any of the 3 floating licenses satisfies this need so the license server could allocate say an Analyst CAL instead of the Developer CAL. It is only when Developer specific actions like source code access or build is needed will the Developer CAL be allocated instead.

Guido Schneider selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Oct 04 '12, 10:38 a.m.
This is the enhancement in 4.0: Only most specific floating licenses should stay acquired

You might want to comment on the work item....

Comments
Guido Schneider commented Oct 04 '12, 4:51 p.m.

Thanks. The answer from Robin below and the mentioned enhancement request explain me what is happening. I'm looking forward to 4.0 upgrade and what will happen with the license usage.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.