It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Duplicated by/Duplicate of

Jeff Foege (45266960) | asked Oct 03 '12, 7:02 p.m.
I've seen only a couple posts that have similiar problems but no resolution, so I thought I would start a new one. This is a problem I've seen a few times here and there.

First, what is the difference between the two? It seems like they mean the same thing.

If I have item A be in any state other than new and item B also be in any state other than new. If I then mark item A to be "Duplicated of" item B and hit save. Item A goes into a New state of which can not be changed no matter what you do unless you remove the Duplicated of reference. If I were to mark an item Duplicated by then I don't have any trouble. What gives??

2 answers

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Oct 04 '12, 2:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Two questions to ask:
1.  Which came first
2.  Where are we at that point in time.

Suppose A was created first and then B, C, D...
if we have currently opened A,
   B, C, D... other duplicates of A should show up under Duplicated By

If we looking at B, C, D .. other duplicates,
   they will refer to A as the original hence A should appear under Duplicate Of

Like Sam mentioned, they are two end of the same link

Comments
Jeff Foege commented Oct 04 '12, 11:43 a.m.

Personally I think the 'of' and 'by' should go away. If we are marking it as a duplicate and making a reference to the actual work item then of or by doesn't matter. I have people that just want to mark a work item as duplicate and reference the other work item.

Still wondering why when I mark a work item as duplicate of another that the state of the work item goes to new and can't be changed. If a work item is a duplicate then it should go to a close state and not be changed.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Oct 03 '12, 11:48 p.m.

those are perspectives from two ends of the same link..

from one side it is duplicated BY some other workitem

A is duplicated by B

from THAT workitem it is I am a duplicate of

B is a duplicate of A

which ever is considered the duplicate (B above) is effectively closed/resolved.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.