It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Checking Eclipse workspaces for changes prior to upgrade from 2.x to 4.x

Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | asked Oct 02 '12, 6:48 p.m.
1. Am I correct in assuming the local Eclipse workspace cannot be re-used when going from Ganymede 32-bit with RTC 2.x to Helios 64-bit with RTC 4.x?
2. Am I correct in assuming that work checked in to the repository workspace but not yet delivered is fine and will still be in the repository after the upgrade?
2. Is there any way to determine who has changes in their Eclipse workspace that have not been checked in to their repository workspace?

One answer

permanent link
Chris McGee (50511117) | answered Oct 03 '12, 3:07 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think that the eclipse workspace could be reusable after upgrading from 2.x to 4.x even after switching from a 32-bit Java VM to a 64-bit one. However, Eclipse workspaces are not generally movable from either one folder to another or one computer to another.

When you check-in changes they reside on the server and should be upgraded along with all of the rest of the server data. This includes your repository workspace and all change sets. It's a good idea to keep your changes checked in as much as possible for a variety of reasons including sudden hard drive failures.

The server does not keep track of what pending local changes users have or even if they have pending local changes. Sometimes users work offline so there's no way it can know. Again, it's always a good policy for everyone to check changes in on a regular basis.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.