It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What kind of license is required to access RRC and RQM atrifacts out of RTC?

Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | asked Oct 02 '12, 1:13 p.m.

My developers have RTC developer floating license assigned. They are members defined in the Lifecycle Management for RRC, RTC and RQM. Within the RTC project area they have the SCRUM role teammember. They are working only within RTC, but they need some limited Lifecycle Collaboration functionalities.

Questions:

• What kind of license do they need for accessing artifacts in RRC and/or RQM?
  • What kind of license do they need to create a link out of the Workitem Editor in RTC to a RRC or to a RQM object?
  • What kind of licenses do they need to run Lifecycle Queries and show the links within Plans etc.?
  • Which role do they need to have within RRC for this operations?
  • Which role do they need to have within RQM for this operations?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Oct 31 '12, 10:23 a.m.

The problem was found with help of development.

The Developer-floating License V.3.0, we run since beginning is NOT CLM enabled.

After upgrading the Developer-license floating to V.3.0.1 the usage of the CLM suite is according license schema described in the documentations.

Silly that a v.3.0 license works with RTC, otherwise I would have updated them and saved many hours.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 31 '12, 11:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Great you solved it Guido. Usually the users find it annoying to have to upgrade the licenses, so here is a reason why you want to upgrade the licenses, I guess.

Robin Bater commented Oct 31 '12, 12:27 p.m. | edited Oct 31 '12, 12:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Glad you found the answer.

I looked on the RTC (and JTS) new & noteworthy for V3.0.1 and could not find anything that indicates the license change but given that there was 6 mths difference in the RTC release dates for V3  and V3.0.1 (where RRC and RQM were additionally released) I suspect there was an incorrect assumption that customers would upgrade the licenses.

4 other answers

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Oct 02 '12, 1:50 p.m.
edited Oct 02 '12, 1:50 p.m.
Have you reviewed the information on the following link about CLM licenses? 

Especially the info in Table 1. Role-based client access licenses?

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Oct 04 '12, 9:25 a.m.
Yes. I have read that.

But if a User with a Developer Floating license is clicking on a "Implements" link within the RTC Work Item Editor, the users gets following Error:

ID CRRRW7281E  A license is required to access the application. A license for you might not be installed or assigned. Contact your administrator who can ensure that a license is installed and assigned to you.

Unable to load https://bt-clmserver01.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/rm/storedquery?dojo.preventCache=1349354282365 status:403
([object Object])@https://bt-clmserver01.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/rm/web/_js/?include=A~&etag=Fu9mz32Hu_en_US:17 ()@https://bt-clmserver01.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/rm/web/_js/?include=A~&etag=Fu9mz32Hu_en_US:17 (-13)@https://bt-clmserver01.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/rm/web/_js/?include=A~&etag=Fu9mz32Hu_en_US:17

URL: https://bt-clmserver01.hqs.sbt.siemens.com/rm/storedquery

{ "detailedMessage": "CRJAZ1848E To perform the \"com.ibm.rrs.saveComment\" operation, your server administrator must assign you one of the following licenses installed on the server: Developer, Analyst-Floating, Quality Professional-Floating. You can contact your administrator, learn more about licenses in the Information Center (under Help > Help Contents), consult the Rational License Key Center on IBM.COM, or visit Jazz.net for information on licenses available for purchase or trial. (More info found at entry [b85685a1439ce082] in RRS server log)", "errorMessage": "Nicht zul\u00e4ssig", "errorStatus": "403" }

If I read that, together with the document you mentioned, I must say this must be a defect.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 04 '12, 12:06 p.m.

I think the RTC Developer license contains a RRC contributor license. I am not sure about why there seems to be no read access. The second part of the message complains about requiring a higher license (than contributor) to save. This is quite confusing. Does the userr have read access to the other project? Which version is that? Is this true for all users?

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Oct 04 '12, 1:09 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 04 '12, 1:12 p.m.
Yes an RTC Developer license includes the permissions to create links, and save comments.

Also as the message indicates:  "CRJAZ1848E To perform the \"com.ibm.rrs.saveComment\" operation, your server administrator must assign you one of the following licenses installed on the server: Developer, Analyst-Floating, Quality Professional-Floating."

It seems the systems thinks the user does not have a license, when clearly they do, which might mean this is a misleading error message.

Is the user a member of both the RTC and RRC projects (unless changed the default Everybody role allows saving comments and links)? If yes then I suggest reaching out to Tech Support as this probably a permissions problem rather than a license issue.

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Oct 04 '12, 4:10 p.m.

I have found it! You will NOT believe what the problem is.

• A RTC Developer license allows you to access RRC and RQM as reader.
  • The RTC user must NOT be a member within RRC/RQM Teamareas, It is sufficient to have READ access in the Access tab of the RRC/RQM Project Area to read artifacts/to hover etc..

BUT, the problem I described above is unbelivable:

• The error message is very clear: you need a
    "Developer, Analyst-Floating, Quality Professional-Floating." license.

But my Users have a "Developer-floating" license. And not a "Developer" License!!!!
  • To test it, I assigned to a user one of the 10-free "Developer" licenses, and SURPRISE, the user has access to RRC with this license.

If it is the license policy, that a floating license has lesser rights as the corresponding personal license, I think I will quit Jazz in our company and change to TFS,
if it is a bug, I don't tell you what I think about the developer which implemented this. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 05 '12, 2:04 a.m.

Gosh Guido, can you file a defect for that? From my perspective the Developer Floating should have identical rights compared to the Developer license.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 05 '12, 5:34 a.m.

Thanks Guido, I am sorry for the trouble.

Guido Schneider commented Oct 05 '12, 6:21 a.m.

Your welcome. Positivly seen I have learned how licenses works, how to monitor it etc.. Will see what answer I get.
BTW: are you at Innovate in Potsdam in Nov.? We should meet us.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 05 '12, 6:34 a.m.

Hi Guido, I submitted two talks to Innovate Germany. I have not heard anything back though. So I assume they were rejected. I have the days blocked and there might be still a way to manage to get me there. Would be nice to meet. I will try to let you know if I manage to do so. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.