It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Planning to upgrade from CLM 3.0.1.3 to CLM 4.0

haizi wu (6054248) | asked Sep 29 '12, 3:22 a.m.
retagged Nov 05 '12, 12:26 p.m. by Bo Chulindra (1.3k2718)
 Hi all:
Recently, Our Department planed to migrate a CLM system to another machine(I dont know whether I can call it "migrate",maybe moving, cloning), both of them were Windows 7 Proffetional 32bit, and I asked many question  here, you guys gave me a lot of good suggestions,I copyed the configuration files and restore the DB backup without running the jts/setup, now the migration  have done succesfully, but there are still some question I am worry about:
1. The migration I just have done is in the Windows 7 proffessional 32bit operation system, but the production environment would be Windows 2008 R2 server 64bit , so I have to migrate the CLM system from Win7 32bit to Win 2008 Server 64bit, although it is succesfull in Win 7, I dont know if it is still available in Windows 2008 R2 server 64bit

2. If the migration  will also be done succesfully , I'll do the upgrading from 3.0.1.3 to 4.0 next, but as I know the way I migrate is not a supported or suggested way in official documentation, so I worry about that there would be some unknow exception during the upgrading

Comments
Bo Chulindra commented Oct 10 '12, 1:34 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please note that your configuration files may have absolute file paths in them. If that is the case, you should make sure these absolute file paths make sense in the new environment.

Some configuration files to look at:
server/conf/jts/teamserver.properties
server/conf/ccm/teamserver.properties
server/conf/qm/teamserver.properties
server/conf/rm/fronting.properties

2 answers

permanent link
Vladimir Zahariev (1503) | answered Sep 29 '12, 3:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, Please have a look at the following thread. Is this what you are looking for?

https://jazz.net/forum/questions/81110/how-do-i-upgrade-from-clm-3013-to-clm-40

Best regards,
-Vlad

permanent link
David Chadwick (1511) | answered Oct 09 '12, 8:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
First of all the Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit environments are not officially supported so this must be kept in mind in case you have any issues with this development/test environment. You method of moving the product from one app server environment to another is exactly the suggested steps.  Although there is no particular topic in the Information Center that calls out the steps in how to move from one app server to another, you got it right.  By moving the configuration files and the index files from the old server to the new server you can move app server environments.  You should not go through setup but rather rely on the already setup configuration and friends files established when setting up on the old app server.

This is the expected process to be used in your production environment move as well.  Please note that in moving from one app server to another, you must either maintain the same established reverse proxy machine and its DNS server name as that of the public URLs used to access the apps on the app server OR you must rename or alias the new app server to the server name contained in the public URL that was used to access the applications on the old app server before the move.  This may involve a DNS update and possibly even decommissioning or renaming the old server since it can no longer use the server name from the public URLs.

The process of moving from one app server to another is described as part of the server rename user scenario of moving a copy of the production environment and setting up a staging environment.  It describes what configuration files and index files should be copied over as well as how to establish a copy of the production database to "seed" a staging (or dev or test) environment with a copy of production data.  While this server rename feature is only present in the v4.0 product, the steps to transfer the applications from one app server environment to another are valid for your purposes and should equally apply to older product versions as well.

In terms of migrating from v3.0.1 to v4.0, there are numerous resources to help you with this process.  The Information Center has a topic describing this with all the detailed steps that you need.  As always the v4.0 product will be a side by side install with the working v3.0.1 product on the same server.  The steps are pretty easy to follow in the Information Center.  There is also a jazz.net article on the migration process that covers considerations such as staged migration of the different CLM applications as well as data warehouse and RRDI upgrade considerations.  The order in which integrated applications are migrated is important so reading through the planning steps and making choices based on your configuration is worth taking your time to walk through.

This migration article is found at the following URL:  https://jazz.net/library/article/819

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.