It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problems creating a dashboard

Rob Exley (1652) | asked Oct 06 '08, 9:13 a.m.
I seem to be having real problems with creating dashboard(s) and I suspect it is a real dumb mistake, possibly a permissions problem.

Having created myself a user, a simple project and assigned myself to the team. I have been trying to create a simple project dashboard and also one for my user. When logging on via the WebUI there seems to be no way for me to create a dashboard - I can kind of do this via RTC GUI - but this seems to be inordinantly hard work currently.

When logged in via the WebUI the 'Create Dashboard' button in the left column is inactive. In the on-line help it states this is a permissions problem but I can't find which permission is missing. Appreciate any help/pointers as this has had me stumped for an hour or two......

Sorry, forgot to say this is on RTC standard edition v1.0.

--
Rob.

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Oct 06 '08, 11:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Rob

I am checking against the example project (Squawk workshop) - and I can create a new dashboard as a JazzUser (my permission from the webui ->Manage Users), and have a developer license. I am also part of the project area and team area

anthony

permanent link
Rob Retchless (31125) | answered Oct 06 '08, 12:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you assigned yourself a developer CAL? Only developers have the ability to create dashboards.

Note: The create dashboard button is only for creating private dashboards. If you click on your project in the left panel, you should see a default project dashboard created from a template. Once you have a developer CAL, you should be able to edit it freely!

Rob Retchless
Jazz Dashboards team

permanent link
Rob Exley (1652) | answered Oct 06 '08, 12:05 p.m.
Hi Rob

I am checking against the example project (Squawk workshop) - and I can create a new dashboard as a JazzUser (my permission from the webui ->Manage Users), and have a developer license. I am also part of the project area and team area

anthony

Thanks Anthony. Unfortunately I wasn't using the Squawk example project (which I will get now and use as a baseline). I have a self-created project based on the 'Simple Team Process' and this only had the default roles and permissions. I have now created a 'project-lead' and 'team-lead' role on the project and given each role the necessary permissions to save and modify the dashboard at the project and team level. This now seems to have allowed me to do as I expected.

The odd thing which hadn't occurred to me is that for an individual user to be able to create and manage their own personal dashboard, it would seem that they must be allocated the ability to manage their own dashboard within the project properties. I would logically have expected this to occur at the user administration level. Unless I have missed something else obvious.

Many thanks.

--
Rob.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Oct 06 '08, 12:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Rob

anthony

Thanks Anthony. Unfortunately I wasn't using the Squawk example project (which I will get now and use as a baseline). I have a self-created project based on the 'Simple Team Process' and this only had the default roles and permissions. I have now created a 'project-lead' and 'team-lead' role on the project and given each role the necessary permissions to save and modify the dashboard at the project and team level. This now seems to have allowed me to do as I expected.

The odd thing which hadn't occurred to me is that for an individual user to be able to create and manage their own personal dashboard, it would seem that they must be allocated the ability to manage their own dashboard within the project properties. I would logically have expected this to occur at the user administration level. Unless I have missed something else obvious.

Many thanks.

--
Rob.

So the other Rob (previous reply) can talk a lot more sensibly about this - but the private dashboard will be against a specific project (or team area) - so the permissions sort-of make sense.

You could have anyone (with a developer-level Client Access License (aka CAL)) create a dashboard as part of the process - that might not be enabled by default on the Simple Team Process.

anthony

permanent link
Rob Retchless (31125) | answered Oct 06 '08, 1:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As Anthony said, dashboards exist within project areas. If you were to create a second project on your repository, that project would have a different set of private dashboards. So it makes sense that permissions for creating private dashboards are on a per-project basis.

It could be argued that private dashboards should exist at the repository level, outside of project scope, and that the same set of private dashboards should be exposed regardless of which project you're in. This would make it more apparent that users can create dashboards that aggregate info from multiple projects, and would also improve the permissions story. We'll be evaluating some improvements in this area for the next major release, so stay tuned!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.