It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migration from Subversion-Jira to RTC

Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | asked Sep 28 '12, 2:29 a.m.
Hi Experts,

Has anyone done migration of a system from Subversion-Jira-Bamboo to RTC ?
Any clues on how to preserve the link between Jira-Subversion to RTC ? 

2 answers

permanent link
Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | answered Sep 28 '12, 3:08 a.m.
 Thank you, Ralph
The real challenge will be in maintaining the links between the bug tracking system and the source control.
That is where I'm struck at the moment. I will update the post on whatever findings i would have.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 28 '12, 3:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have seen posts in this forum that talk about creating work item to change set links using the Plain Java Client Libraries API. The big issue I see in your case is to identify the change sets in RTC and the respective work item. The work item issue can potentially be solved if the import maintains the original item number in an attribute (see my blog). The remaining issue is how to identify the change set.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 28 '12, 2:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I haven't done this to the extent you ask for. Nevertheless, some hints.

You can import from Bugzilla (I believe there is a way to export Jira as Bugzilla format) and you can import from SVN. I am not aware that there is something that imports the links between the entries.

I typically suggest a different approach anyway in cases like this.
1. Import just some baselines from the source code and use these as basis for future development.
2. Only import the work items that are still active.

If you can keep up the old system some time in case users need to look at the history, you have the opportunity to get to a clean and fresh start. Just a suggestion.

I know of some projects that have moved to RTC from other systems and brought the history over. In some cases they created their own tooling for that. In case of SVN and Jira, if you can find a way to map from the SVN to the RTC change sets and from Jiro to RTC work items you could use the API to recreate the linkage.

Some ideas (only work items): http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/uploading-attachments-to-work-items/ http://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/the-rtc-workitem-link-api-linking-workitems-to-other-elements/

It would potentially be possible to use custom properties to mark change sets with SVN information, but I don't think this is part of the import process.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.