It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

SCM leaves a job running; is this a bug or a usage error?

Jonathan Wildstrom (111) | asked Sep 27 '12, 10:51 a.m.
retagged Dec 16 '13, 4:07 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
I'm running a large number of property gets back-to-back (getting properties of all files in my workspace to check file metadata as part of a project clone). I regularly seem to get the following error:

Job found still running after platform shutdown.  Jobs should be canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown: com.ibm.team.filesystem.rcp.core.internal.changes.util.listeners.UpdateChangesJob

The command I'm running is:

for dir in <directory list>; do find $dir -type f  | xargs scm property list; done

Am I doing something wrong, or is there a bug in the SCM tools that leaves something running?

I'm running RTC 4.0.0.1; this also happened ion RTC 4.0.

6 answers

permanent link
Martina Riedel (20323341) | answered Oct 28 '14, 7:15 p.m.
My work around for https://jazz.net/forum/questions/108881/message-job-manager-has-been-shut-down-appears-within-output-of-scmexe-utility has been to write a wrapper that separates stdout and stderr and basicaly ignores stderr if the status is ok.
That works also for this issue.

Comments
Martina Riedel commented Oct 28 '14, 7:17 p.m.

p.s. I have it on AIX in a script that creates a new workspace, so looking for a .snap file in the .metadata is not an option (rtc 405)

permanent link
James Murphy (81) | answered Oct 28 '14, 1:26 p.m.
Hi,

I am seeing this problem frequently in my build environment. We have a Jenkins plugin called "Maven Release Plugin" that we use to automate our maven release process, however it needs to deliver changes back in to RTC and I would say we hit this error about 25% of the time. It has become a real burden to our team to keep having to cleanup the failed release each time. We are on RTC 4.0.6, and the problem still seems to be there, so wondering if we know what version of RTC this was addressed in. We are looking to upgrade to RTC some time Next year.

Thanks!

Comments
James Murphy commented Oct 28 '14, 1:28 p.m.

We are planning to upgrade to RTC 5 beginning of next year, wondering if anyone has seen this issue there or knows what version this bug was fixed in?

permanent link
Christian Höltje (5810) | answered Oct 31 '13, 4:36 p.m.
 I have the same problem as well with Jenkins and the Team Center plugin by Rational and RTC version 4.0.1  -- How do I resolve this? What do I do to "shutdown" things?

Comments
Shashikant Padur commented Nov 04 '13, 10:41 p.m. | edited Nov 04 '13, 10:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

From defect 49609...

Do you have a .snap file under <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/ ? If so, delete it and rerun the command. This would be a workaround until we fix the issue.

Christian Höltje commented Nov 04 '13, 11:21 p.m.

I ended up deleting the whole workspace (from the directory containing .jazz5 on down). 

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jan 08 '13, 3:30 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Following it up in the defect.

permanent link
Ankit Gupta (1122) | answered Jan 08 '13, 3:05 a.m.
what is the work around for this problem ....????

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Oct 01 '12, 12:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 01 '12, 12:37 a.m.
 It is similar to workitem 49609. Does this message show up on every command run on the console?

Comments
Jonathan Wildstrom commented Oct 01 '12, 9:17 a.m.

I don't actually know. I wasn't doing detailed work from the command line, just getting properties. It sometimes shows up, and sometimes doesn't.

Shashikant Padur commented Oct 03 '12, 5:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Okay, we will track this in the workitem mentioned above. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.