It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Fine Tuning Email Notifications

Nils Müller-Sheffer (1136) | asked Sep 25 '12, 6:32 a.m.
edited Sep 25 '12, 7:26 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
Hi,

we want to fine tune when email notifications are send to contributors. Currently - with default settings - the systems generates huge amounts of mail for only few users.

We'd want to turn sending email off - as default.
Then override that default only for specific workitems and specific events.
- send email when workitem type is X and it goes into state Y).
- send email when people are initially mentioned as contributor on work item type X.

Thank you for any pointers,
Nils

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 25 '12, 7:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 25 '12, 7:27 a.m.
Nils,

as far as I know the current implementation does not allow this fine grained control. I am aware that some customers have written their own notification server extension. In addition there is a team that provides (and supports) this kind of extensions to customers for a fee.

I can't provide example code here, because I haven't written such a notifier myself.

permanent link
Nils Müller-Sheffer (1136) | answered Sep 25 '12, 7:42 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

thought so. Do you know, how we globally disable email notifications?

Thank you,
Nils

Comments
Vladimir Amelin commented Sep 25 '12, 7:49 a.m. | edited Sep 25 '12, 7:49 a.m.

We have written custom e-mail notification implementation as follow-up for "save work item event". It has all the configuration options as the built-in plus some advanced settings (as states, item types and even attribute values as conditions). To disable built-in notification service we've used "white list" (our service uses app mail settings as server hostname, port etc).

Sterling Ferguson-II commented Sep 25 '12, 9:10 a.m.

Nils,

Can't you globally disable email notifications from Server Administration->Server->Configuration->E-mail Settings->Enable E-mail Notification (true/false)

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 25 '12, 7:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Nils,

unfortunately I am not aware of a global setting to modify the defaults. This seems to be a per-user task. I could imagine that it is possible to use an API to change these settings. However, is it worth the effort? I would suggest to create a small description that users can access with how to disable their notifications.

In addition we have the feed services, maybe you can use that rather than the notification? 

permanent link
Amaury Quintero (901217) | answered Sep 26 '12, 4:23 a.m.
 Hello
Right now we are in the same effort, but we first started trying to use the predefined templates, I think there are 3 and there is no way for users to add more, but we are trying to add it directly in the process XML, in order no to waste time is this possible @Vladimir? Can you share the Followup code? When we finish we can share the Template Access code and how-to.
Thanks. 

Comments
Vladimir Amelin commented Sep 26 '12, 4:30 a.m.

Sorry, but I cannot share, it's property of our customer now. But I can say all the configuration parameters for this service is stored in process template source XML in separate section.

permanent link
Amaury Quintero (901217) | answered Sep 26 '12, 4:35 a.m.
 No problem, thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.