It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why do the red asterisks for mandatory fields not appear in my RTC work item?

Andrew Trobec (49712144139) | asked Sep 20 '12, 11:11 a.m.
 Hello,

I have created a workflow in RTC 3.0.1.1 and there are mandatory fields that need to be entered.  When instantiating the work item, the red asterisks to not appear to signify that a field is mandatory.  There is no way of knowing what I have to insert until I click the Save button and the system tells me what's missing.  Even then I have to fail saving for as many mandatory fields as there are.

Please help!

Best regards,

Andrew

One answer

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Sep 24 '12, 7:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andrew,
How are you marking the fields as required?  I just made the Tags field required on save by opening the project area, going to the Process Configuration tab, expanding Team Configuration, clicking on Operation Behavior, selecting the Save Work Item operation for Everyone, selecting the Required Attributes for Type and State precondition, selecting the category com.ibm.team.workitem.workItemType, clicking Edit and selecting Tags.  When I create a new work item, I see that the Tags field has the red asterisk.  Work items that were previously created do not have the Tags field as required.

Comments
Andrew Trobec commented Sep 25 '12, 3:25 a.m.

Hello Lauren,

Thank you for the reply.

I have made the fields mandatory exactly as you have described. Regardless of whether I transition an existing work item or create a new one, the asterisks to not appear. The Summary attribute by default is always mandatory. Not even this displays the asterisk. Please note that I am referring to custom work items that I have created.

The default work items display asterisks.

What could it be?

Best regards,

Andrew

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Sep 25 '12, 7:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Andrew,

I just created a custom work item type with a custom workflow and a custom editor presentation. Before I assigned any required attributes, I created a new work item of my custom type, and no red asterisks were displayed and I was able to save a work item without a summary. Then I assigned the Summary field as required and the red asterisk was displayed in both the Eclipse client and the web ui.

I'm not sure what could be causing the error you are seeing. I searched existing work items and found this: https://jazzdev.torolab.ibm.com:9443/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=189476. Could this be the cause of the problem you're hitting?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.