It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC to RTC Bridge

Susan Hanson (1.6k2201194) | asked Sep 19 '12, 9:48 a.m.
We have multiple repositories in various projects and we have a need now to be able to have a 2-way sync bridge between different project areas on different repositories.  For example, I need to open a defect against another project so I have the defect in my repository/project area, and also another defect in the other repository/project area, and have a bridge to do a 2-way sync of all work item changes (attributes and comments).    There are lots of bridges that I see between CC, CQ, and CMVC, but I haven't seen anyone writing a sync between different repositories in RTC.

Anyone have this?

Thanks, Susan

Comments
sam detweiler commented Sep 19 '12, 11:28 p.m.

Well, you can write a sync tool, using the External Repository manager support. I have one from RTC to Salesforce.com. its all java code. https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ItemConnectorCreation#External_Repository_Manager

IBM has decided against the synchronization approach and has gone to bridging (linking to the other item).. (synchronizers are hard)

Susan Hanson commented Sep 20 '12, 5:47 a.m.

Thanks, but with Bridging, this assumes that everyone has access to the "other" project area/repository to open the linked work item, which we don't. As well, comments from one do not go across a linked work item.

I know we have a Synchronizer similar to your from DeveloperWorks into RTC and so we were hoping someone else had come up with the RTC to RTC one already.

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 19 '12, 8:02 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
On a terminological note, we try to use "bridge" to refer to a connection between two repositories that just involves linking an object in one repository to an object in the other repository, and we try to use "synchronizer" to refer to a connection between two repositories that involves bi-directionally transferring changes made to an object in one repository to a "corresponding" object in the other repository.

The only RTC/RTC synchronizer that currently exists is the "distributed SCM" functionality, which effectively lets you use cross-repository accept/deliver operations to keep streams in two different RTC repositories synchronized.

There is an enhancement request for supporting synchronizing work items in two different RTC repositories, Need an RTC to RTC Synchronizer for Level 3 Support for RTC (58911), but it has been marked as "no plan to implement".

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.