It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we create a relationship without reverse relation?

Abhilash Boinapally (011314) | asked Sep 17 '12, 3:50 a.m.
Hi,
      Wanted to know how to create a relationship without a reverse relation. I have more than 5 assets and each asset is related to each other. So if i open any asset i should see only one relationship associated to all other assets.
      Example i have assets A,B,C,D and E. If i open asset A i should see B,C,D,E in the related section and if i open asset C then i should see A,B,D,E with just one relationship only.

Thanks,
Abhilash

3 answers

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Sep 17 '12, 8:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The terminology may be confusing (a different set of labels may be better... e.g., dependent by/from ...) ... but it is to allow for traceability/impact analysis.

One way to simplify is to set A dependsOn B,  B dependsOn C, C dependsOn D .... and use traceability to understand that A dependsOn D.

permanent link
Abhilash Boinapally (011314) | answered Sep 17 '12, 8:32 a.m.
Thanks Gili.

In RAM we have Depends On(Relationship Type) and Dependent(Reverse Relationship) to illustrate with the above example

A depends on B,C,D and E, so under related asset section,end user sees as  A Depends On B,C,D,E assets

B depends on C,D,E and for A its already Dependent(reverse relationship) , Now under related asset section, end user sees both relationships i.e. B Dependent A and Depends On C,D,E.

This will create a confusion for the end user why for few assets  it's Depends On and for few it's Dependent,but both means same.So that's the reason we are looking at only one relationship name.

A depends on B,C,D,E
and when user clicks on asset B, the end user should see like B depends on A,C,D,E, same way when user click on asset C, end user should see C depends on A,B,D,E

A,B,C,D,E are assets that are linked to each other.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Abhilash

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Sep 17 '12, 7:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Relationships in RAM are always bi-directional ..  A < - > B, each side of the relationship has a name/label.
You may create multiple relationships between A and B with different semantics .. e.g., dependentOn, and Design

Not sure that I follow the problem.

If you Create relationship from A to B, C, D and E ... (it means you created also the reverse)... and now continue to create relationships from B to C, E and E (A is already there) ... etc.  It should work,  

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.