It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can an updated version of an RTC process template be applied to an existing project?

Jan Widegren (1111) | asked Sep 05 '12, 7:09 a.m.

Hello,

Consider the following story;

1. Create an RTC project using one of the available RTC process templates.

2. Update the RTC process template, for example by making changes in RMC and creating/deploying a new version of the template.

3. Apply the new version of the RTC process template to the same (existing) project. Question: Is this possible? If so - how can I do this?

Many thanks for any input!

3 answers

permanent link
Erwin Kunz (94686986) | answered Sep 05 '12, 8:03 a.m.

Hi Jan

We use a slightly different approach, with the goal: All projects use the same process

1) create a project "My Template" base on one of IBM; we used SCRUM. This "project area" is your master. All process changes will be done here.
On this project area the sharing option has to be :Allow other project areas to use this project area's process 

2) every project area you create has to be created as "unconfigured" (instead of scrum, or formal) and the sharing option has to be : Use the process from another project area for this project area
and user the project area in 1)

The propagation of changes is no perfect. If you do some Workitem changes you need to enfore the "inherit" by going into the project area definition page, change e.g. teh description and SAVE

Hope this helps

erwin

permanent link
Jan Widegren (1111) | answered Sep 05 '12, 8:01 a.m.

Hello Sam,

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The template was created and updated from RMC and deployed to the same location. The project should simply be updated according to the new stuff in the new version of the template. Are you saying this can be done? If so, what is the GUI for this? Something like an "Apply new version of the template to the project"-button...

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Sep 05 '12, 7:32 a.m.
was the project 'using' the original template shared from another project area?

if yes, then yes, if not then no.

Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.