It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to display parent attribute value into Child workitem when creating Child workitem

mrp singer (1021315) | asked Sep 02 '12, 1:41 a.m.
Hi Team
Regarding Parent - Child relationship

I have one Parent Called A and Child WI called B and i have custom attribute called Parent ID and manually entering the Parent ID and saving the WI. However we have ID which is generated by RTC system.
We are using custom attribute to keep track Parent ID in their Child WI types

When i create Child WI from Parent WI  and it should copy or display the ParentID <Value> in Child WI and save.  By doing this we can keep track of  Child WI with respect to its Parent

Is it possible to display or copy Parent WI to Child WI while New Child WI creation?

Thanks in advance
MRP

Accepted answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Sep 03 '12, 4:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Actually there is no need to have the custom attributes.
The RTC work items have the link that can be shown in the Quick information as well as in the links tab.
If you are adding the custom attribute to be able to access the parent child information problematically or for accessing through the reports, both the use case are covered. There are API through which all the links of a work item can be accessed. And for Reports the ETLs already expose the links.

Apart from these if you have any other use case we can help you with that as well.
mrp singer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
mrp singer commented Sep 03 '12, 5:12 a.m.

Hi Aradhya Thank for your comments. I just want to copy one Custom Attribute value From Parent to Child WI. Example: I have Parent A and having TEST ID: ( user will enter ID in parent) and while creating Child WI and this TEST ID should copy there before saving or after savng.. So that i can keep track of this. Is this possible?

One other answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Sep 03 '12, 7:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can do so through the code. This is is defined in  https://jazz.net/library/article/1000.
You have to come up with a precondition or adviser where you can update the work item to be saved. For example if the work item has a parent link then copy some of its attribute values ...

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.