It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to use TOMCAT as application server for RRDI 2.0 instead of using WAS 8.0 DEV

Der M (6121418) | asked Aug 28 '12, 7:24 a.m.

I have RRDI 2.0 with WAS 8.0 DEV installed.

I have been asked, if it is possible to run RRDI on TOMCAT?

How does the licence for WAS Developer 8.0 work if I want to put RRDI into a production environment?

We are looking to minimise our outlay on licences.  So I am wondering again if it is possible to install RRDI 2.0 on TOMCAT application server?

Comments
Anthony Kesterton commented Apr 18 '13, 4:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Another point on this question.  You have a license for WAS when you purchase RTC (and RRDI is shipped as part of RTC) - so there should be no additional purchase cost implications for using WAS.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Fox (61643) | answered Aug 28 '12, 12:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I created an Enhancement work item for RRDI to support Tomcat (separate from Derby), so we'll consider this again for a future release. 

It references this forum discussion, so comments here that support the request will help us justify it during release planning.

Mike Fox

Der M selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kot T. commented Apr 16 '13, 5:51 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Mike, could you share the link to the enhancement request for RRDI to support Tomcat please?

Michael Fox commented Apr 18 '13, 2:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

long TRUONG commented Jun 29 '15, 5:01 p.m.

Mike,

Has this enhancement ever made it to any release ? If not what is its status ? What about the new module DCC ? Will it have to be installed on WAS too? If so can it work on a CLM installation with Tomcat ?

Michael Fox commented Jun 29 '15, 5:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not know if this enhancement has been implemented.  I left the RRDI team about 2.5 years ago and have a totally different job at IBM. However, the work item is still open.  I cannot speak to its priority or answer your other questions.

Mike Fox

3 other answers

permanent link
Der M (6121418) | answered Oct 08 '12, 7:07 a.m.

I would just like to run the system on TOMCAT as adding another application server is just adding another level of complexity within the system.  Especially considering that TOMCAT is used to install RRDI.

Thanks for thje workitem, I will keep an eye on this!!

permanent link
Michael Fox (61643) | answered Aug 28 '12, 9:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The answer above is correct, it is not possible to run RRDI on Tomcat.  We know there is a need for this and have been looking into it.  However, there are several issues that prevented us from supporting this configuration in either the 1.0.2 or 2.0 releases.

One question you could help us with:  would an RRDI running on Tomcat be useful for you if it still required a production data base (DB2, Oracle, or SQL Server)?  We've been looking to pair a Tomcat app server with a Derby database as an evaluation/demo kind of configuration.  However, there are technical issues that prevent that from working.  We can look into Tomcat support again for a future release if the database isn't an issue.

Mike Fox (RRDI Development)

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 28 '12, 11:09 a.m. | edited Aug 28 '12, 11:09 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Mike, for several reasons I would like Tomcat support. If an enterprise DB is a requirement, I could live with it. I would be really happy if Derby was also supported (because I have automated backup procedures that manage several deployed test environments) but I assume I could manage to get them working with DB2 as well if I have to.

Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 25 '13, 3:29 p.m.

Michael,

Yes, for us adding additional MS SQL databases is easy - adding additional application servers is not. We may not be able to use RRDI until it supports Tomcat. We never use Derby, so definitely a non-issue for us. I am happy to be a tester for this if needed. Our test server is ready and waiting with RTC 4.0.1.

permanent link
Vladimir Amelin (70472226) | answered Aug 28 '12, 7:30 a.m.
Looks like it's unsupported configuration, please see System Requirements for RRDI 2.0 application servers here:

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.