It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI 2.0: Unable to find an active CM and dispatcher initialization issue

Frank Ning (50025119133) | asked Aug 23 '12, 2:24 p.m.
edited Mar 28 '14, 4:41 p.m. by Douglas Bush (28125)
1. After ran the RRDI setup wizard and deployed the built ear into an existing single-node WAS cluster, the reporting page (https://<was-server-host>:<port>/reporting) shows the following message:

DPR-ERR-2109 The dispatcher cannot service the request at this time. The dispatcher is still initializing. Contact your administrator if this problem persists.

2. The log file pogo_<date>.log file inside cognos/logs directory shows the following:

2012-08-23 14:15:56.906 DEBUG [contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl] Thread-94: Trying to find active CM
2012-08-23 14:15:56.941 DEBUG [contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl] Thread-94: Unable to find an active CM.  Will try sending an elect command
2012-08-23 14:15:56.941 DEBUG [contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl] Thread-94: Sending elect() command to CM

3. I did update the "localhost" in several URI/URL entries of Cognos configuration tool to the full hostname and right port and restarted both the cognos services and WAS server, the issues stay the same no matter how long I waited.

The above issues prevent me from running "Load cognos Archieves".

Anyone had the similar issues and lucky to solve them? Appreciate if you could share some tricks/tips...

5 answers

permanent link
Indrasena Narla (1) | answered Sep 17 '13, 6:02 p.m.

I am getting the same error.I have tried to restart the Cognos services after resetting the DB password in the Cognos Configuration.

DISP    5000    1      Audit.Other.dispatcher.DISP.pogo pogo    com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl              Failure <messages><message><messageString>DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.</messageString></message><message><messageString>null</messageString></message></messages>DPR-CMI-4007 Unable to perform an active Content Manager election on the local IP node. For more information, see the dispatcher and Content Manager detailed logs. Ensure that the local Content Manager service is started.nullcom.cognos.pogo.pdk.dom4j.Dom4jSoapFaultException       at com.cognos.pogo.pdk.dom4j.Dom4jEnvelopeFactory.createSoapFaultException(Dom4jEnvelopeFactory.java:91)        at com.cognos.pogo.pdk.dom4j.Dom4jEnvelopeFactory.createSoapFaultException(Dom4jEnvelopeFactory.java:29)        at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.handleResponse(BIBusCommand.java:516)     at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.processResponse(BIBusCommand.java:257)    at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.executeCommand(BIBusCommand.java:217)     at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.execute(BIBusCommand.java:201)    at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.StandbyContentManagerElectionCommand.executeIfLocal(StandbyContentManagerElectionCommand.java:53)     at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl.sendElectCommand(ActiveCMControl.java:213)        at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl.startTimer(ActiveCMControl.java:166)      at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl.startupFindCM(ActiveCMControl.java:135)   at com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.RuntimeInfoPublishHandler.start(RuntimeInfoPublishHandler.java:114)       at com.cognos.pogo.services.DefaultHandlerService.start(DefaultHandlerService.java:94)  at com.cognos.pogo.services.DispatcherServices.startInitialService(DispatcherServices.java:418) at com.cognos.pogo.services.DispatcherServices.startInititalServices(DispatcherServices.java:404)       at com.cognos.pogo.transport.PogoServlet$PogoStartup.run(PogoServlet.java:831)  at com.cognos.pogo.util.threads.SafeThread.safeRun(SafeThread.java:70)  at com.cognos.pogo.util.threads.SafeThread.run(SafeThread.java:61)

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Aug 24 '12, 11:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you able to test the connection to the content store DB from the Cognos Connections utility?  Have you completed the steps outlined here?

Comments
Frank Ning commented Aug 25 '12, 9:34 a.m.

Yes, the testing on cogconfig tool successfully passed and those setup steps were followed

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Aug 24 '12, 12:07 a.m.
Hi Frank,

Can you show what is in the cogserver.log during this time?  There should be some explanation there as to what is causing the problem.

Comments
Frank Ning commented Aug 24 '12, 9:17 a.m. | edited Aug 24 '12, 9:18 a.m.

1. I also noticed the following error inside the pogo_<date>.log file earlier than the error message about "Unable to find an active CM"

DPR -CMI-4007 Unable to perform an active Content Manager election on the local IP node. For more information, see the dispatcher and Content Manager detailed logs. Ensure that the local Content Manager service is started. com.cognos.pogo.bibus.CommandExecutionException: Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP response at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.handleDefaultException(BIBusCommand.java:294) ...

2. In the cogserver.log, I noticed the following error:

DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error. Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP response DPR-CMI-4007 Unable to perform an active Content Manager election on the local IP node. For more information, see the dispatcher and Content Manager detailed logs. Ensure that the local Content Manager service is started. Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP responsecom.cognos.pogo.bibus.CommandExecutionException: Failed to send HTTP request or read HTTP response at com.cognos.pogo.bibus.BIBusCommand.handleDefaultException(BIBusCommand.java:294) ...

permanent link
Marc Nehme (276157) | answered Oct 12 '12, 5:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I was getting similar errors where cogserver.log was returning "trying to find active CM" and "Unable to perform an active Content Manager election on the local IP node". I tried just about everything including restarting my box. Nothing worked.

I then checked my WAS systemout.log and that showed me a port conflict. I verified that my ports 9080/9082 were consumed via 'netstat' command in windows command prompt.

I modified the WAS service in Windows (RRDI server) from 'automatic' to 'manual' so that it wouldnot auto start, and I restarted my machine again. Once it came back I verified that the ports were no longer taken. I now started the RRDI report server and everything worked fine.

What had been happening was, in the midst of troublshooting, I was unconventionalyl killing the java.exe (WAS serve process) via task manager, hence though the server process was stopped, the port remained open, hence each time I was starting the RRDI report server, I was getting errors.

So, check your systemOut.log file in WAS directory for any port conflicts. Temporarily modify the RRDI server from automatic to manual startup, restart your machine, verify the ports are not reserved, then start up RRDI.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to Petroula for working with me in uncovering this!

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Mar 18 '14, 5:16 p.m.
Just wanted to update this since we ran in to the issue here with all the same symptoms and stack traces as mentioned above.

When Cognos starts up the first time it creates the content store objects.  There should be some files in the /cognos/logs folder that get created showing the results of the table creation (001.CMCreateWSRPObjects_results.xml, etc..).

I noticed these files were not getting created when Cognos was starting.  Even though the DB connection tested successful from Cognos Configuration, that did not mean that we were providing a user with credentials to write to the database.  It seems to just test connectivity and not permissions.

Once we updated the credentials for the content store connection the tables were created after restarting Cognos and everything looked ok.

Comments
Indrasena Narla commented Sep 17 '13, 6:02 p.m. | edited Mar 25 '14, 6:28 a.m.

how did you resolve this issue?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.