It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question on upgrade of RTC 3.x to RTC 4.0

T M (8876187143) | asked Aug 23 '12, 8:23 a.m.

Rational Team Concert 3.0.1.2

WAS 7.0.0.19

SQL Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

Windows 2008 Server (64-bit)

Single instance of WAS. I have two profiles - one for JTS and the other for CCM. Both JTS and CCM are on the same box.

I'm referring to the Info center on the upgrade instructions for RTC 3.x to 4.0. Please see the text in red below.

I opened the teamserver.properties file that is in my JTS 3.0.1.2 install dir. The current setting is:

com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=conf/jts/indices/workitemindex

So, as per the instructions should I change the value to D:\IBM\WebSphere\appServer\profiles\Appsrv0\conf\jts\indices\workitemindex before running the upgrade scripts? The question is that currently there is no conf directory under D:\IBM\WebSphere\appServer\profiles\Appsrv0. Please let me know.

Thanks!

11Verify the index locations Back to top

Before starting the upgrade, follow these steps to verify that the index locations in the application's properties files are pointing to an absolute path on the file system, rather than relative paths.

1. For Jazz Team Server, go to JTS_3.0.1_install_dir/server/jts and open temserver.properties file for editing.

2. For Change and Configuration Management application, go to CCM_3.0.1_install_dir/server/ccm and open temserver.properties file for editing.

3. For Quality Management application, go to QM_3.0.1_install_dir/server/qm and open temserver.properties file for editing.

4. Search for the com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexlocation line.

5. If the location is a relative path, the indices will be located relative to the WebSphere Application Server profile hosting the applications. Change the location to an absolute path:

• For Jazz Team Server, enter com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=WAS_Install_Dir/IBM/WebSphere/appServer/profiles/Appsrv01/conf/jts/indices/workitemindex where WAS_Install_Dir is the WebSphere Application Server installation directory and Appsrv01 is the application server profile name.

• For Change and Confoguration Management application, enter com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=WAS_Install_Dir/IBM/WebSphere/appServer/profiles/Appsrv01/conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex where WAS_Install_Dir is the WebSphere Application Server installation directory and Appsrv01 is the application server profile name.

• For Quality Management application, enter com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=WAS_Install_Dir/IBM/WebSphere/appServer/profiles/Appsrv01/conf/qm/indices/workitemindex where WAS_Install_Dir is the WebSphere Application Server installation directory and Appsrv01 is the application server profile name.

6. During the upgrade, after the properties are merged, the script opens the 4.0 teamserver.properties file and lets you preview the properties. At that point, change the location of the index files to an absolute path of a stable location on your drive. A stable location is a directory that will not be deleted as a result of an application unnstall. The absolute stable location should look like this:

• com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=JTS_4.0_install_dir/server/conf/jts/indices/workitemindex where JTS_4.0_install_dir is the location where Jazz Team Server 4.0 application is installed.

• com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=CCM_4.0_install_dir/server/conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex where CCM_4.0_install_dir is the location where Change and Configuration Management 4.0 application is installed.

• com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=QM_4.0_install_dir/server/conf/qm/indices/workitemindex where QM_4.0_install_dir is the location where Quality Management 4.0 application is installed.

The script will then copy the indices from 3.x to the new 4.0 stable directory.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Aug 23 '12, 11:54 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
After rereading the upgrade instructions a couple more times I discovered I was mistaken about the index location.

The instructions are saying that if you are using WebSphere and the index location is pointing to a relative path it will use  ..../WebSphere/appServer/profiles/<Profile name>/conf/<application>/indices/workitemindex

You said the conf directory does not exist. Did you check under the both the ccm and jts profiles?
T M selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 23 '12, 11:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks Karl!

T M commented Aug 23 '12, 12:05 p.m.

Thanks! It exists for ccm and not for jts.

5 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 23 '12, 8:41 a.m.
edited Aug 23 '12, 8:44 a.m.
You should have changed the path to an absolute path long time ago. Especially on WAS and running the server as a service. The absolute path for the indexLocation you currently have refers to the JTS_3.x_install_dir/server/conf/jts/indices/workitemindex as described in the help which is not located in te WAS profile folder.

When deploying a production server, it should be considered to place the index and other files that by default are relative to the server/conf/app folder in a folder that is independent of the install location. And make the path entry in the teamserver.properties file absolute.

In your case I would suggest to.
  • Shutdown the server
  • Move the files into a different location
  • change the teamserver.properties for the apps where these files got moved accordingly
  • start up the server and check this was successful

The reason being:

• You do a side by side install of 4.0, upgrade and keep the index location in the original 3.0 install folders
  • Later someone decides to delete 3.x server folder
  • Your index files are gone and you have to reindex

You also want to think about including these files into backups.... see https://jazz.net/library/article/795

Comments
T M commented Aug 23 '12, 9:00 a.m.

Thanks! Since I currently don't have the absolute path in my teamserver.properties files I don't change anyhting in the teamserver.properties files and as part of the upgrade process: 1. Don't change anything in the teamserver.properties file 2. Run the upgrade scripts 3. While running the upgrade script, teamserver.properties file pops up and I give the aboslute path (JTS_4.0_install_dir/server/conf/jts/indices/workitemindex & JTS_4.0_install_dir/server/conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex )

Is it okay?

T M commented Aug 23 '12, 9:02 a.m.

I think I need to change the teamserve.properties files to absolute path - JTS_3.x_install_dir/server/conf/jts/indices/workitemindex and JTS_3.x_install_dir/server/conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex before running the upgrade script. Right?

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Aug 23 '12, 9:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I also opened a defect because the instructions are confusing and I think they are wrong to point to the WebSphere directory for the indices.

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=228162

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 23 '12, 9:58 a.m.

I don't think they are confusing.

JTS_3.0.1_install_dir/server/jts

does not at all pint to any websphere folder.

Karl Weinert commented Aug 23 '12, 10:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The interactive instructions say For Jazz Team Server, enter com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=WAS_Install_Dir/IBM/WebSphere/appServer/profiles/Appsrv01/conf/jts/indices/workitemindex where

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 23 '12, 10:05 a.m.

Oh, now I see it. Yes, that is wrong.

permanent link
T M (8876187143) | answered Aug 23 '12, 9:56 a.m.

My current setting in JTS teamserver.properties file is:

com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=conf/jts/indices/workitemindex

My current setting in CCM teamserver.properties file is:

com.ibm.team.fulltext.indexLocation=conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex

I looked at JTS_3.0.1_Install_dir\conf\jts\indices\workitemindex folder and CCM_3.0.1_Install_dir\conf\ccm\indices\workitemindex folder and they are empty! Why there is nothing in the workitemindex folders?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Aug 23 '12, 11:37 a.m.
Hi,

I don't know where the index files go if you run with WAS and have a relative path. Even more disturbing I seem to be unable to find the documentation that states you need to enter absolute paths.

Search for a folder named workitemindex. There are other index locations with files. Typically with prefix jfs-.See the backup article i mentioned in one of the answers for more information.

You could also try to set the locations to absolute and rebuild all the indexes.

permanent link
Yehiel Glass (25538986) | answered Jun 26 '13, 11:40 a.m.
Hello,

I'm editing the JazzTeamServer/server/conf/jts/teamserver.properties file upgrading to 4.0.3 .
What is the right absolute path to change to?
Should it be the path to CLM_Installation_Dir/conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex or WAS_Installation_Dir/conf/ccm/indices/workitemindex ?

Thanks,
Yehiel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.