It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Complexity based Progress bar in Formal project plans

Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | asked Aug 22 '12, 2:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In Formal project management process based project area, if plan items such as Business Needs workitem is added to plan, the progress bar will be calculated with Business Needs WI as well. While the WI iteself estimated is 100%, the total estimated percentage seems to be not correct.

In RTC 3.0.1.4 or any version of RTC(tested with RTC 301 and 4.0 as well) Using Formal project management process based PA, I add task or task+defect to a Plan, all progress bar will show 100% estimate.
If I added Plan items Business Needs work item, the progress bar on the complexity will become 50% now, this seems that Business Need WI is a part of estimated calculation. However, the Business Need WI itself shows 100% estimate. If both task and Business Need WIs are 100% estimated, why the total is not 100% but 50%?

It seems that Plan items is mattering here. Uncheccking Business Need as plan items and check the Plan view again. This time the complexity progress bar is 100% but time progress bar and group user's progress bar will show 50% instead. The result is confused.
See the screenshots attached

. How the progress bar's estimate is calculated when plan items are involved in plan view?
. Whether the result is unexpected(defect)?

One answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Aug 22 '12, 2:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 If planning is done using the hours for all the work item types then the Complexity based progress bar is not of any use for them. They can ignore that progress bar. I agree that there should be a configuration through which this bar can be hidden if the customer is not using the complexity attribute at all. Ability to hide the Progress bar based on the Complexity attribute in Plan Details. (227919) is the Enhancement for this problem.

The correct usage of complexity attribute is for the high level estimations.
Ideally the Complexity attribute will be the Enumeration or Integer.
You can create a new custom attribute of type integer or Enumeration. Enumerations are better as they can standardize as small, medium or large ...
This is the correct usage of the Complexity attribute. Though setting the Time spent or Priority as the complexity attribute is not blocked it will not help them in using the feature better.
If the Enumerations are used then the IDs of the Enumeration values should be integer. You can refer to the story points Enumeration for this.

The simple rule is what ever attribute they set as complexity, if they want that attribute to be considered as Estimated then the value of that attribute should result in a number greater than 0.
I do not encourage using the Estimate and Time Spent as the complexity attribute as they are Duration attributes and their values will be stored as Milliseconds.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.