It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does RTC 4 for visual studio refresh the local sandbox when performing "check in all" ?

Ryan Manwiller (98835) | asked Aug 21 '12, 6:27 p.m.
Just upgraded to RTC 4 (visual studio). I noticed a difference from 3.x is that when I click Check in All in the pending changes window, it does a full sandbox refresh. Well, we have a big sandbox and this takes a lot of time. Not to mention this could pick up junk files in the sandbox and check them in without my noticing.

Is there a way to turn off that refreshing?

While I can appreciate that this might be a useful behavior for some teams I don't think it is a good default.

The new "auto detect changes outside the ide" setting is great, and I think further reduces the need to have this new behavior on checkin all.

2 answers

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Aug 24 '12, 5:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is no way for the user to turn off this behavior unfortunately. I have created a workitem for this: https://jazzdev.torolab.ibm.com:9443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/228333 

Comments
Danny Beerens commented Jan 17 '13, 11:00 a.m. | edited Jan 17 '13, 11:27 a.m.
Hi all,

I'm currently running a RTC pilot project, at a major Dutch Healthcare Equipement manufactorer, to evaluate if RTC is a good successor of Subversion.
At the moment the only issue holding us back from accepting RTC for SCM is its performance during check-in, to be specific: This very issue Ryan Manwiller reported here.

Please either disable/remove this check/refresh of the sandbox, or make it configurable by the user.

@Prabodh Mairh: Your link doesn't seem to work. If I could subscribe to this work item I would!

With kind regards,
     Danny Beerens (nldabe)

Ryan Manwiller commented Jan 17 '13, 11:03 a.m. | edited Jan 17 '13, 11:03 a.m.

This is supposed to be fixed in 4.0.0.2 (not yet released) and 4.0.1 but I have not confirmed that yet. 

Danny Beerens commented Jan 17 '13, 11:08 a.m. | edited Jan 17 '13, 11:27 a.m.

Ah, okay.

@Prabodh Mairh: Could you confirm that please?

We have recently upgraded the server to 4.0.1, but I'm still running the 4.0 clients for Visual Studio and the Windows Explorer Shell. I'll upgrade my clients anyway and see what happens. I'll let you know too.

By-the-way, the link to the Work Item should read: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=228333

Tim Mok commented Jan 17 '13, 11:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Prabodh gave the internal hostname for the RTC server. The work item is resolved and so is the backport to 4.0.0.2 (linked in the work item).

Prabodh Mairh commented Jan 18 '13, 2:21 a.m.

@nldabe Sorry for having posted the internal link by mistake. It should have been the one you already mentioned in your comment. 

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Jan 18 '13, 2:32 a.m.
@nldabe This fix went in 4.0.1 release, and has been backported to 4.0.0.2 (to be released). 
A user preference has been added in Tools->Options->Source Control->Jazz Source Control->Changes using which the sandbox refresh can be turned on or off.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.