It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to prevent new timelines from being created during WI imports with Planned For updates

John Sealund (114) | asked Aug 18 '12, 12:01 a.m.
retagged Sep 21 '12, 6:53 p.m. by Richard Knaster (23817)
During work item imports with Planned For value updates, if Planned For value does not match existing timeline values, new/bogus timelines are being created.  Is there any way to prevent this from happening?  It is very easy to make a mistake in setting the Planned For value for import.  First, following advice of exporting first to get the correct values to work with can mislead the person doing the import; the Planned for value really needs to be the internal value and not the visible value which is the default.  And, of course in general it is easy to have other mistakes.  

I would think that RTC should just come back with an error if Planned For values do not match, or provide a means to remove the permission for certain roles (doing imports) to create new timelines.  I have looked in role permissions and didn't see anything obvious. 

I am working on a project with 100+ users doing imports and 6 scrum masters importing Planned For values every sprint during sprint planning, so when bogus timelines get created it is difficult to clean up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

One answer

permanent link
Clement Liu (1.5k54249) | answered Sep 22 '12, 8:16 p.m.
Try using an id (for bulk load) with the assigned role that doesn't have permission to modify project area or timeline structure. 

Comments
John Sealund commented Sep 27 '12, 3:32 p.m.

Thank you for the reply.  What permissions would you remove for the a user doing an import?  I'm guess that it would be permissions for process but nothing looks obvious for the timeline.  I would get rid of all process permissions; however, it is typically the scrum master doing the imports and they will need some of the process permissions.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Clement Liu commented Sep 27 '12, 8:39 p.m. | edited Sep 27 '12, 8:40 p.m.

Pls see screen shot:

John Sealund commented Sep 28 '12, 10:33 a.m. | edited Sep 28 '12, 10:55 a.m.

Thank you very much for the help Clement.   I didn't see the permission before because I was under team configuration instead of project.

John Sealund commented Sep 28 '12, 10:49 a.m. | edited Sep 28 '12, 11:09 a.m.
However, the permissions are set properly for the project but it is still creating bogus timelines.  Wish I could include a screenshot, but I'm new to the forum and you need a reputation of 60 or greater to post a picture.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Clement Liu commented Sep 28 '12, 11:49 a.m.

Is the user in the JazzAdmins group?

John Sealund commented Sep 28 '12, 12:30 p.m.

no.  just Jazz Users is selected 

Clement Liu commented Sep 28 '12, 1:35 p.m.

Can you send me a screen shot of your setting like this for the role to which the user is assigned?  My email is: liuyun@alum.rpi.edu

Clement Liu commented Sep 28 '12, 4:51 p.m. | edited Sep 28 '12, 4:55 p.m.

John, I got your screen shot

I set up a user with the same permission as yours and tried the bulk load with bogus value for the "Planned For" field and I got this error preventing me loading the item:

Clement Liu commented Sep 28 '12, 5:53 p.m.

More details of the error:

John Sealund commented Oct 09 '12, 11:12 p.m.

Thanks Clement.  Sorry for the delayed response; we just upgraded to RTC 4.0.0.1, so I will give it a try with the upgrade.

showing 5 of 10 show 5 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.