It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Working with Gantt Chart with RTC 3.0.1.2

Subrit Dikshit (1133) | asked Aug 16 '12, 8:32 a.m.
edited Aug 27 '12, 4:26 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)

I need following information related to Gantt Chart while working in RTC 3.0.1.2.

1.Which attributes or fields are required (optional/mandatory) for creating Gantt Chart

2.Are there any APIs realted to Gantt chart which I can use to do customization using plugin development

3.Can we produce Gantt Chart using custom fields (or attributes) instead of which are provided in RTC 3.0.1.2,

4.Is there any central information area where I can know more about RTC Gantt Charts

5.Complete process with internal details on how RTC produces Gantt Charts.

Comments
Subrit Dikshit commented Aug 19 '12, 10:15 a.m.

Is jazz team really looking at forum sections, I really am not sure about it. If yes, please reply.

2 answers

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Aug 27 '12, 4:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Subrit

The forum post was not tagged correctly. The people from RTC will be looking for the tag 

The Gantt Charts are the output of the dates that are calculated from the Scheduler.
In 4.0 we have added the capability of showing the Snapshot dates as well.
There are 2 schedulers in RTC. The Agile and the Traditional
The traditional scheduler in IBM Rational Team Concert 4.0 is the article which explains further on how the traditional scheduler works.
Effective Planning with Rational Team Concert is the article on how the road maps work.

Now for the questions 
1. The above attributes will help you on the attributes. Broadly the dates of the gantt will be calculated from Estimates, Due date, Dependencies, State and the owner. For Formal Projects the Constraint date and Constraint type are also considered apart from the ones above.
2. Gantt Chart in its current state does not support customization
3. Gantt Chart cannot be built using the custom attributes. As I have mentioned above the Gantt is built using the Scheduler output.
4,5. You can find more information on the business rules of the Scheduler and the Gantt will just be the output of the scheduler. 

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 27 '12, 4:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 27 '12, 4:12 a.m.
Hi Subrit, yes, we are looking at this. Have you tried to search the online help or the Library https://jazz.net/library/ for information? You can narrow down to a tag in the Linbrary and you can find many valuable articles about planning there.

For example https://jazz.net/library/article/590 talks about it in general and also shows how formal planning works in general. I think most of https://jazz.net/library/article/657 also applies to RTC 3.x.

1.Which attributes or fields are required (optional/mandatory) for creating Gantt Chart

2.Are there any APIs realted to Gantt chart which I can use to do customization using plugin development

3.Can we produce Gantt Chart using custom fields (or attributes) instead of which are provided in RTC 3.0.1.2,

4.Is there any central information area where I can know more about RTC Gantt Charts

5.Complete process with internal details on how RTC produces Gantt Charts.

1. You need an estimate for the work and a resource assigned

2. As far as I am aware, there is no official API for extending the planning component
3. No, actually the scheduling information is stored in the plan snapshots and not in the work item.
4. There is some information in the help. The Library is an additional resource.
5. This exceeds the scope of this forum.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.