It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC install repositories

ankur sharma (66212228) | asked Aug 16 '12, 8:11 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 What is the difference between
(in terms on capabilities they would install) 

RTC p2 install Repository
RTC Client for Eclipse IDE
RTC Client for Eclipse IDE (Extension install)

Which one should I use to install RTC over RAD/RSA?

Please point me to a related article/blog/help doc

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 16 '12, 8:37 a.m.
the p2 package is for installing into a existing running eclipse env.

the eclipse client is a running eclipse with the p2 already installed (and no other extensions)

i do not know on the extension install, and also cannot advise on the rad/rsa

permanent link
ankur sharma (66212228) | answered Aug 21 '12, 1:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
"If you use full install you have the option in IM to extend on the existing eclipse and then you will have one RSA/RAD eclipse client that is shared with RTC. If you use RTC extension, all its dependencies will be installed as well but what I understand is you will not have RTC extensions to the JDT PDE plugins etc which comes default with eclipse vanilla installation or RSA eclipse as well I think. Probably used for plug-in development for RTC. "
from @Zeech 

permanent link
ankur sharma (66212228) | answered Aug 27 '12, 6:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Updated Answer

1. p2 repo
The p2 repo is supposed to be used to install RTC over native Eclipse or Eclipse based distributions using Eclipse's p2 mechanism. If such an Eclipse environment has been setup and managed externally, p2 install mechanism should not be used. For example, if you have installed your environment with IBM Installation Manager, do not use p2 install mechanism. Use IM with one of the following two mechanisms.

2. RTC Client for Eclipse IDE (Extension install)
This is an IBM IM repository that should be used to install RTC (using IBM IM) over a compatible existing Eclipse environment. This would be the most recommended way of installing RTC.

3. RTC Client for Eclipse IDE
This is an IBM IM repo used to install RTC when (A) when there is no existing Eclipse Environment or (B) the existing Eclipse environment is not entirely compatible (in such scenarios Extension install should fail stating missing dependencies). Using this option may have certain repercussions - like the environment might now have multiple version of certain Eclipse plugins. And if there are some third-party plug-ins installed which do not have well defined dependencies, they may behave unexpectedly. So use a bit of caution while using this option to install RTC.

Whenever in doubt, post a query on jazz.net forums :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.