It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does displaying the Test Case "Add new requirement link" take so long to display

David Hanslip (23124448) | asked Aug 08 '12, 2:18 a.m.
I had this problem in 3.01 and was hoping that the upgrade to 4.0 would fix it. Unfortunately not.

I currently have the default tomcat/derby configuration with 300 requirements and 40 test cases.

It's going to take me many hours to link my test cases to requirements.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Zhou Xing (41123) | answered Aug 08 '12, 5:09 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David
    In requirement links section, when adding new requirement links from RRC or Doors, RQM is using delegate UI to list the remote requirements, if this process is slow, I think it is because of network communication issues.

In the association dialog, if user selects several requirements at one time and associate them to one test case, RQM need to establish OSLC links both in RQM side and remote requirement management container, that means several HTTP communications will be established. After all the OSLC links are constructed successfully, then the association process will complete. This is the main reason why the association process may take some time to be finished
David Hanslip selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
David Hanslip commented Aug 08 '12, 10:56 p.m.

Thanks. I tried doing this using a remote session on the server and the delay in displaying and populating the Requirement Links dialog was more tolerable. There is still a significant delay but by the time I've referred to my spreadsheet to get the requirement details, the dialog is ready to go. It does indeed appear to be a network issue - it's not really usable over a WAN.

3 other answers

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Aug 09 '12, 1:14 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Dave,
Default tomcat/derby configuration is good for exploring the application but it might not scale well in performance, specially due to Derby when permission check and process comes into picture.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Aug 08 '12, 1:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi David,

Not sure if this will help, but one option might be to create a collection containing all appropriate requirements, and then link that collection to a test plan. Then from QM you can run the "sychronize" option, which allows you either create new test cases or link to existing test cases for each of the requirements in the collection.

Comments
David Hanslip commented Aug 08 '12, 10:52 p.m.

Thanks Robin.

I tried doing this using a remote session on the server and the delay in displaying and populating the Requirement Links dialog was more tolerable. There is still a significant delay but by the time I've referred to my spreadsheet to get the requirement details, the dialog is ready to go.

It does indeed appear to be a network issue.

wrt to your answer, you HAVE to create a collection containing the requirements and then link that collection to the test plan. By "syncronize option" I assume you mean "Reconcile Requirements in Collections". I tried that but it made no difference.

It would be good if there was an option to enter multiple queries into the search field such as

"search text 1" "search text 2"

Thanks and regards, Dave.

Zhou Xing commented Aug 08 '12, 11:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, we suggest use the synchronize option to link(or generate new test cases) requirements to individual test cases under a test plan. In RQM 4.0, this option is called "Requirement Reconciliation" and will provide more useful functions in it

permanent link
Heather Linsk (1422251) | answered Aug 08 '12, 10:08 a.m.
Is there a way to create the links using a batch script of some sort?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.