It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC WorkItem Customisation

Kiran Nagara (10741823) | asked Aug 06 '12, 1:03 a.m.
I have created a Workitem type called Project Goal which has some of the parameters (attributes) which are the unit of measurement values for my project, If I have some field in WI type called Defect and I want to sum the same from all defects and compare with Project Goal workitem's one of the field, what is the best way to achieve it?

Eg: In Rational ClearQuest, We used to write hooks to filter the Defect type record type and compare with some other field, can we achieve this kind of functionality?

Regards,
-Kiran

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 06 '12, 7:10 a.m.
how are the defects related to the Project Goal?

if they were children, then an OperationParticipant server plugin would be an easy way to do this.

on save of a workitem, determine it is the parent Goal, or a child defect, and then find all the related defects and sum their total to the Goal object.

Comments
Kiran Nagara commented Aug 06 '12, 7:24 a.m.

Hello Sam,

Project Goal is one of the WorkItem Type, Its populated with Project Metrics @ the start of the Project and the actual values are input manually at the in diff phase/end of the Project.

For Eg: In Project Goal, I have a field which says Total project time estimated 100 hrs and If I have one more field Total project time (Actual). Total project time (Actual) should be the sum of all the tasks and the defect workitem type created in the project area, So my Project Goal's Total project time (Actual) should have the summation of WI types defect and tasks as when the tasks/defects actual time is populated.

Regards, -Kiran

Kiran Nagara commented Aug 06 '12, 7:25 a.m.

The tasks / Defects are not child Wi of Project Goal...

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Aug 06 '12, 8:15 a.m.
ok.. then the OperationParticipant has a trickier job to do.

so, it sounds like there is a Single instance of Goal in a project space.

the participant can look for workitem saves which are NOT for a Goal workitem, then check if the sizing/consumed time is changing on the changing workitem, and if so, find the Goal for this project and update it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.