It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Are there technical differences between a Product and a Release Backlog (scrum template)?

Virginia Brown (9333941) | asked Aug 03 '12, 10:34 a.m.
edited Aug 03 '12, 10:35 a.m.
I understand the difference between a product and release backlog, 
but am curious -- why there are two difference Plan Types for them?

In the following example the Product Backlog uses EBand_Backlog and the Release Backlog 
points to EBand_R1 or EBand_R2. This just seems to be a difference in scope selection.
What does using type of Product Backlog buy me or using Release Backlog?

EBand_Backlog
EBand_R1
EB_R1_Sprint1
EB_R1_Sprint2
EBand_R2

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Aug 03 '12, 2:20 p.m.
edited Aug 03 '12, 2:21 p.m.
Technical I know following differences:
- predefined plan views
- in the Advanced Release Burndown report, you need to select an Iteration where a plan of the type "Release Backlog" exists. And it is not allowed to have a second Iteration selected for this report, where another plan of type "Release Backlog" exists.

This is a problem in my setup, where I have a seperate Iteration within the Release, parallel to the sprints to hold the "Release Backlog". e.g.

Product Backlog
Release 1.0
       Rel1.0_Backlog
       Rel1.0_Sprint01
       Rel1.0_Sprint02
Release 2.0
       Rel2.0_Backlog
       Rel2.0_Sprint01
       Rel2.0_Sprint02
If you want to use the Advanced Release Burndown for this Situation, the Release backlog plans cannot be of type "Release Backlog".

Virginia Brown selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Virginia Brown commented Aug 07 '12, 12:54 p.m.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting note on Adv Release Burndown behavior

One other answer

permanent link
T M (8876188143) | answered Aug 03 '12, 10:44 a.m.

Product backlog -> Prioritized list of work of the entire product. E.g., feature 1, f2, f3, f4

Release backlog -> Subset of the product backlog that you are targetting for that release. E.g., f1,f2

Sprint backlog -> subset of Release backlog through a set of detailed tasks. E.g., f1 (task1, t2, t3)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.