It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent scheduled builds from starting if a build is in progress

Donald Bobeng (2122) | asked Aug 02 '12, 12:10 p.m.

I have the following scenario:

I have a build definition which uses multiple build engines.  The build definition is scheduled several times per day.  

If a build is running and I attempt to initiate a build manually, I am warned with the following

"A build is already in progress.  Are you sure you want to request another one"

However, when a scheduled build starts, it will use another free build engine automatically and I'll have two builds running concurrently.  

My question.  Is there a way to prevent a scheduled build from starting if one is already running??

One answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Aug 02 '12, 12:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The only way I can think of to do that within RTC is to have only one build engine associated with the build.  There isn't a way to configure the build definition to enforce that.

Your other option is to have your build script enforce that.  Have the build script check at the very beginning if another build is running.  If so, the build script exits without doing anything.  This is not a good solution, since it leaves behind a bunch of nearly empty build results in RTC.  I don't know the best way to check if another build is running; you might need to come up with your own mechanism that is outside of RTC.

-- David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.