It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to upgrade server and database from RTC 2.0.0.2 to RTC 4.0?

Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | asked Jul 31 '12, 4:37 p.m.
retagged Dec 04 '12, 12:54 p.m. by Bo Chulindra (1.3k2718)
We are skipping RTC 3 by going from RTC 2 to 4. I have yet to find comprehensive instructions for doing that update. RTC server is Linux 64. Database is Microsoft SQL Server (2008 R2). Note that our access to the server through PuTTY means commandline-only for the server.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Jul 31 '12, 5:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You must first upgrade from version 2 to version 3.0.1. Then to version 4.0. Please see the following:

jazz.net article: Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management 2012 Upgrade Guide
InfoCenter: Upgrading from version 2 (two-step process)
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

8 other answers

permanent link
T M (8876188143) | answered Jul 31 '12, 4:42 p.m.

It is a 2 step process - RTC 2 to RTC 3.0.1 to RTC 4.0.

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Jul 31 '12, 4:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
you cannot skip migration to 3.. i suggest contacting RTC Support, they can assess your current environment thoroughly and assist you in successfully moving ahead...

permanent link
David Castellanos (20686) | answered Jul 31 '12, 4:55 p.m.
As stated previously, it's a two step process.

Comprehensive instructions can be found in 
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html (2 to 3.0.1)
and
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/roadmap_clm_upgrade.html
and (3.0.1 to 4.0)

It can be all be done via command line as non-root (need to use the Web Installer file found in downloads): http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_command-line_installation.html

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | answered Jul 31 '12, 8:09 p.m.
Installing version 2 did not require IBM Installation Manager. Is there any way to install 3 and then 4 without IBM Installation Manager?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 01 '12, 1:47 a.m.
You can do a silent install. Here some information:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_command-line_installation.html

https://jazz.net/search_results.jsp?q=rtc+silent+install#page=0&type=&q=rtc%2Bsilent%2Binstall

This option was available in 2.x too.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | answered Aug 01 '12, 12:51 p.m.
That still requires Installation Manager - it just uses a response file to make the installation silent. I did not use installation manager - with or without a response file - to install 2.0.0.2 ifix 8. Perhaps that's because I was replacing ifix 5. I did not do the original install of ifix 5.

Disappointed there isn't a way to upgrade from 2 to 4 without going to 3 first. Many companies will skip a version.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 01 '12, 12:59 p.m.
There is no install without IM because of the changes in the context roots and that you have to keep the old ones if you upgrade from 2.x. The upgrade from 3.x to 4.x is easy. The tough one is 2.x to 3.0.1.x. I would suggest looking into the library, we did quite an effort to provide material.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 01 '12, 1:00 p.m.

We also have people that can help with 2.x to 3.x.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9808161143) | answered Oct 02 '12, 6:18 p.m.
I created a comprehensive step-by-step install document (22 pages and counting).

If anyone else is upgrading from RTC 2.0.0.2.8 to CLM 4.0.0.1 on single Linux 64-bit Tomcat app server using MS SQL, and needs to do so using the commandline without root access, I am happy to share so you don't have to do all the research I did. IBM should hire me to write documentation.  :)

Comments
long TRUONG commented Oct 02 '12, 6:51 p.m.

I would take up your offer and would love to learn from your install doc (long.truong@state.mn.us). Even though  our server is a Windows server, and we have upgraded using the IBM installation manager from 2 to 3.0.1 (before my time) then 3.01 to 4.0, I understand that we had a hell of a time to complete the 2 to 3.0.1 successfully, and personally went through the agony of upgrading from 3.0.1 to 4.0 with the IM.

Your instructions will help us with future upgrades and hopefully will give us enough insight  to carry out our current patching of 4.0 to 4.0.0.1 without having to go through IM with a full new install of 4.0.0.1 prior to running the upgrade scripts.

Thanks and Regards.

Joseph Pesot commented Oct 04 '12, 1:12 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi MIke,

I'm not sure we can hire you to write documentation ;-) ... but if you'd be willing to share, the IBM doc team would love to see what you've done.  Our doc team does its best at covering what we believe are the most representative topologies and configurations, but we also know that there are many more permutations that our customers may find valuable.

In any case, if you'd be willing to talk, perhaps we could turn what you've done into a jazz.net article.  You can reach me directly at pesot@us.ibm.com).

Mike Shkolnik commented Oct 17 '12, 5:31 p.m.

I am going to run through my doc one more time on the test server and make any needed tweaks, then I'll be happy to share.

Ryan Pede commented Oct 31 '12, 12:23 p.m.

Hi Mike, we're in the same upgrade boat, if you would be able to send me your documentation as well, that would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,
Ryan
peder@macewan.ca 

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 31 '12, 12:39 p.m. | edited Oct 31 '12, 12:39 p.m.

Just in general,

we created a pretty hefty upgrade workshop for upgrading from 2.x to 3.0 that you can use to understand what needs to be done. If you search the Library for Upgrade CLM 2011 you get all that material. It is more than you could ask for.

For Upgrade CLM2012 there is only a few more in the library because it is just not that complex.

In any case, please use the interactive upgrade guide in the help, it provides a step by step guide. You also probably want to test that it will finally work with an isolated test environment, gain confidence, knowledge about expected times and create you own step by step description before you upgrade the production servers.

Mike Shkolnik commented Mar 04 '13, 7:59 p.m.

We finally did our upgrade from 2.0.0.2.8 to 4.0.1, passing through 3.0.1.5. I am now ready to provide my 38 page doc to anyone who needs it. The doc is written specifically for all apps on one Tomcat server with MSSQL for the databases.

-Mike

Robert Carter commented Jan 20 '15, 3:50 p.m.

I would love to have a copy. 

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.