It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Restrict read access on files/folders (SCM) - RTC v3.0.1.1

VK L (8177154159) | asked Jul 31 '12, 12:35 a.m.
Hi All,
           I want to restrict read access on certain specific files and folders under a component to certain users.Version is RTC v3.0.1.1 Is there a way available (or) any alternate approach that can be used? Using plugins (or) access control (or) any stream-structure approach?

Thanks.

2 answers

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jul 31 '12, 12:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Not that I know of.  Read access is controlled at the level of the SCM component.  There isn't a way to have different read access for different files and folders within a component.

Comments
VK L commented Jul 31 '12, 12:57 a.m. | edited Jul 31 '12, 1:11 a.m.

Thanks David..

Any possibility of writing  a plugin to act on the load operation while users try to load files from the stream? (or) Having a separate stream to manage these files - but i think in this case, setting a flow-target wold cause problems by bi-directional flow.

Thanks.

David Olsen commented Jul 31 '12, 1:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't know if a plugin can be written to control the loading of certain files. I don't think RTC was designed to be extended in that way, so I imagine it would be at least difficult if not impossible.

Having a separate stream for the restricted files would make it difficult for unauthorized users to see them, but not impossible. And it would complicate the job of the people who need to manage both the restricted and unrestricted files.

The way to manage read access of files is to put them in different components. You haven't explained yet why you can't use that approach.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 31 '12, 2:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Valli, I would consider looking into RTC 4.x instead of wasting effort on trying to write some extension. Please have a look if this fits your needs: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0?p=news#scm_readpermission

Comments
David Olsen commented Jul 31 '12, 10:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I didn't know about that new feature. That makes my answer not as useful. Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.