It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to migrate multi-select list that needs mapping?

Virginia Brown (9333941) | asked Jul 30 '12, 11:04 p.m.
I am migrating a multi-select list of States from ClearQuest to RTC using export / import.
In CQ, the list is of the form ME, NH  In RTC the list is Maine, New Hampshire  etc
A mapping has been set up to do the translation:
  <value sourceId="ME"  targetId="Maine" />
And the tab-separated list exported from CQ is turned into a comma separated list
SUBSTITUTE(<cell>,CHAR(13),",")

This works fine if the list is one item, but it does not perform the mapping if there are more than one item
The list itself works -- if I do the substitutions by hand:
         Maine,New Hampshire  
the import works as well

Ideas?

One answer

permanent link
Yuhong Yin (25123) | answered Aug 01 '12, 10:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello
Can you clarify, for the example you used, what you see in the exported zip file? and what you have to do manually as a workaround?

By the way, you may want to look at this CQ->RTC importer enhancement since it might be related to the issue you ran into.
     Should be possible to map CQ Keywords to attributes presented by a Multi-Select List (176886).

Thanks
Yuhong

Yuhong Yin
Dev Manager, CC-RTC/CQ-RTC Connectors and Integrations
email: yyin@us.ibm.com

Comments
Virginia Brown commented Aug 01 '12, 2:51 p.m. | edited Aug 01 '12, 2:52 p.m.

Yuhong - we're not actually using the importer. rather a one-time export from CQ, then import to RTC. We export from CQ into a csv, then manipulate it in Excel, then import as csv.

The multi-select list exports to Excel as a vertical-tab separated list (displays in the spreadsheet as one item per line)
NY MA CT

We've found that to import into a multi-select RTC item it needs to be presented as a comma-separated list. That's what the SUBSTITUTE(<cell>,CHAR(13),",") transformation does in Excel.

A list of exact literals imports fine, but not if they need further translating.

Case 1: single item NY Translates to New York and imports properly into the multi-select list in RTC

Case 2: multiple items, literals: New York,Massachusetts,Connecticut imports properly into the multi-select list as three elements

Case 3: multiple items, needing translation NY,MA,CT attempts to add NY MA CT as three additional element, it does not try to use the mapping

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.