It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using Roadmap to view sprint plan but the gantt chart shows nothing

Arthur Winterling (1634) | asked Jul 24 '12, 11:21 a.m.
Use RTC3.0 for planning hav created a sprint plan and try now to follow up the tasks but the Gantt view shows nothing only an empty place. All Tasks are planned or have started for this sprint so i think we should see anything. Have played around with changing estimates, time remaining, rankings etc. but did not get anything displayed.
Currently we think there must be a basic problem behind this, but we have no idea.

Comments
Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 24 '12, 6:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

RTC 3.0 (or 3.0.1 or variant)? I assume the web UI since Gantt chart view is only available there -- which browser and version? Did you play with the Roadmap control settings at all? It represents a window across the calendar and can be zoomed in or out and dragged right or left (or set to "Today"). Perhaps the viewport is just misaligned to your data?

Sandra Hoffmann commented Jul 25 '12, 9:28 a.m. | edited Jul 25 '12, 2:17 p.m.

Hello Millard,

I am also in the team. The server is in version 3.0.1.2. The template is scrum.
We tried different browers, none of them are working.
We played with the control setting, I think this is not the problem.

For work items in the status new, we can see the planing line. For items in another status we can not see anything.

Is this a problem from the scrum template?
Is there an option we can try out?

Greeting
Sandra

3 answers

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Jul 25 '12, 2:41 p.m.
I just did a quick test with a new Scrum-based project. I took the original handful of tasks that get created and assigned them to me for Sprint 1. I also made sure that they all had estimates. I opened the Sprint Backlog and switched to the Roadmap view.

There were no bars. Then I opened one of the work items and noticed that there was a warning next to my name in the Owned By field. The warning said that I was not a member of the Team Area. I edited the Project Area to add myself as a member, then cleared my browser cache and refreshed the page -- the bars appeared. I changed the state of a task to In progress and the bar was still there.

Could you check your configuration and see that the users assigned to the tasks in question are part of the Team area the work items are Filed Against? I don't think it is a problem with the Scrum template nor a defect that it is not scheduling work for non-members of the team.

Comments
Arthur Winterling commented Jul 26 '12, 6:43 a.m.

Hello Millard, thanks for your answer ("filed against") it lead me to a point to resolve my problem. The problem was 1. the categories were only associated to the default (project team), we thought this is ok but now i associate them to a specific team. 2. the plan view was also owned by project team, i switched this to the same specific team. After those actions i see now all bars for epics, stories and tasks. Thanks for your quick help.

BTW: Is it possible to enhance the window of the view to the right (may be with a scroll bar) so that i have more
place for the view?

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 26 '12, 11:15 a.m.

There isn't a scroll bar, but you can adjust the column widths (and persist those changes if you want to keep them). [On most plans I look at, I could easily give up some of the space set aside for the Summary in order to have more for the Roadmap.] As mentioned, you can also zoom in and out and pan across the space. Please accept my answer to the question (if you consider it answered).

permanent link
Mustafa Mesanovic (11) | answered Dec 21 '12, 6:40 a.m.
 We have everything set up correctly, all tasks and stories are "filed against" a catergoy which is also associated to the team which is doing the tasks and stories.

But as soon as stories get tasks, the roadmap view (Gantt chart) does not show any bar and the stories and tasks vanish for this specific sprint.

Can you help or give a advice? 

permanent link
Richard Knaster (23817) | answered Jan 02 '13, 5:33 p.m.
Hi Mustafa:

I think I know what the issue may be and depending upon your viewpoint, it could be a defect or enhancement.  Please add an owner to the tasks that disappeared from the Gantt Chart.  Does that resolve the problem?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.