It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Loading Plans - Performance Issues

Tom Rogers (4134) | asked Jul 24 '12, 7:23 a.m.
We are experiencing extreme issues loading plans in RTC.  Any input on what we may be able to do.  Inside IBM network performance is bad.  Outside the network it is unacceptable.  Tx

Comments
Ginny Ghezzo commented Jul 24 '12, 8:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Do you see the same performance in the web client and the eclipse client?

What version of RTC are you using? There have been various performance improvements in RTC 4.0, including loading plans (https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Foundation#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=185124 )

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 24 '12, 9:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please, always provide which version you use, as Ginny requested. Since there so many versions are out there, it becomes impossible to answer questions otherwise.

Ginny Ghezzo commented Jul 24 '12, 9:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have also heard that there are various techniques to simplify plan types that help with the initial loading. However I do not have experience doing this. If I can hunt down details I will post.

Millard Ellingsworth commented Jul 24 '12, 6:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Can you say more about your environment (e.g., where are the servers hosted, how do users reach them, etc.)? Are there issues with other applications and network performance? Do you know (or can you find out) if any compression is enabled when the web servers are sending data to the clients (this can dramatically reduce the size of the data moving on the network)?

For the plans, which plan types/views are being used?

Tom Rogers commented Jul 24 '12, 8:56 p.m.

Millard (and all) to your questions:

1. The servers are located in the IBM Lexington DST environment and the users connect to the RTC server using IE browser(Version 8 and above). Access from the client NW is via a private VPN tunnel to the IBM site..
  2. There have no other issues reported on network/application performance.
  3. We trying to get more information on if compression enabled on server.
  4. For the plans, the performance is particularly very slow in the "work breakdown and schedule" view.

3 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Jul 30 '12, 2:53 p.m.
We are having the same issues.. Ginny knows it well. we are attempting to mirror the IBM deployment model,
multiple CCM servers with limited JTS servers.   currently we are building controlled projects on the CCM servers so we can start running performance analysis tests using a set of projects that won't change, so we can baseline and verify change deltas..

we are desperate for performance improvements..   4.0 is on the horizon, but further out than we can stand waiting for.

sam

permanent link
Tom Rogers (4134) | answered Jul 24 '12, 9:15 a.m.
We are using v3.0.1.1, the browsers being used are Firefox (IBMers), IE7 and IE8 for non-IBMers, client environment.  No real difference noted between the various browsers.   We don't plan on going to V4.0 anytime soon.

Further input is appreciated...

Comments
Ginny Ghezzo commented Jul 24 '12, 9:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Anyone using the eclipse client? (I would love to know what you see there)

It looks like some of the performance improvements were included in 3.0.1.4 (see Task 212535) . That would be a good upgrade if you can talk your team into it.

Another idea I had was to rule out your network by using the Performance Health Check widget but that was delivered in 4.0 as well.

Anthony Kesterton commented Jul 24 '12, 9:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Tom

The best way I have found to debug this is to use a tool in your browser (eg: FireBug on FF) to look at the traffic to see if there are any errors, or where there is a delay in sending/receiving info. You can also try disabling all browser addins and see if that helps, then isolate the addin that could be causing the problem.

There is one other thing you can check. Make sure your database server is on the same network segment as your RTC server. I have seen poor web performance in general when the DB server is a long way from the RTC app server (many network hops).

Tom Rogers commented Jul 24 '12, 10:12 a.m.

Hi we are no one is using the Eclipse client, all browser based use.

Tom Rogers commented Jul 30 '12, 2:34 p.m.

Anthony, we confirmed DB server is on same network segment as app. servier.

permanent link
Robert Ducharme (93128) | answered Jul 24 '12, 8:20 a.m.
Which browser are you using? We have noticed that using IE can take some tremendous amount of times. When using Firefox, times were on the order of seconds.  There is a nasty memory leak in the IE browser environment. Note that our experience was based on release 3.1.0.2. Do not know what happens in release 4.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.