It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can you create custom Iteration Types and Plan Types via an RTC Process Template?

Robert Truban (33811) | asked Jul 23 '12, 5:22 p.m.
edited Jul 24 '12, 9:25 a.m.
Is there a way to create custom plan types or iteration types in RTC? 

I am trying to create a customized RTC project based on the Traditional Project.  This if for a non-software development project and I would like to have something other than 'Product Release Plan' or 'Phase Plan'.   The intent is to have 3 layers of planning, something like 'Annual Road-Map' which would have high level goals for the year, a 'Quarterly Plan' with planned activities that would satisfy the goals, and then a Monthly Plan which would have the planned tasks items.

For iteration types I would just have Year, Quarter and Month....

Anyone have any ideas on how I could do this? I am using RTC 3.0.1.2, but we will be upgrading to 4.0 soon.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

4 answers

permanent link
Robert Truban (33811) | answered Jul 24 '12, 9:36 a.m.

Can you create custom iteration types or plan types via an RTC Process Template?

Answer:  YES!

When I was trying to modify the Formal Process Template I could not add or modify Plan Types or Iteration Types.  When I used the RTC Eclipse Client to create a 'new' template I found instructions imbedded in the unconfigured template on the process configuration tab that I did not find anywhere in help or on Jazz.Net:

1. Plan Types

Process Configuration-->Configuration Data-->Planning-->Plan Types

Note: For Process Templates, this configuration aspect can only be edited on the Process Configuration Source page.

2.  Iteration Types

Team Configuration-->Iteration Types   

Note:  Iteration Types must first be defined while editing the properties of an Iteration of the Timelines view of the Overview Tab.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 23 '12, 11:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
First, a few reminders:
- Remember to phrase the title of your question in the form of a question.
- Remember to add a comment in the form of a "comment", not an "answer".
- Remember that you can edit your original question, to clarify what you wanted to ask.

WRT this question:
If you want to create your own template, you would create your own process template.
You can either modify a process area to have the desired characteristics before creating the process template from it, or directly edit the process template after creating it (or both).

permanent link
Robert Truban (33811) | answered Jul 23 '12, 10:24 p.m.
Thanks Gabriel, I truly appreciate the response! 

But I am not having a problem configuring the out-of-the-box processes (i.e. formal project or scrum templates) or creating plans, timelines/iterations using those templates. I am trying to create my own template with the 'types' I mention above so they are available as choices when I configure my project.  Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

permanent link
Gabriel Enriquez (3463) | answered Jul 23 '12, 9:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can create the appropriate timelines and iteration and then create plans accordingly.

To create timelines and iterations, follow this help:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp

To create plans:
In Eclipse UI, right click Plans under Team Artifacts (Work Items perspective) and New -> Plan... Fill in the required data (i.e. Name, Owner, Iteration).

--
Gabriel Enriquez, IBM Rational, Tracking & Planning

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.