It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Calculate value from Child workitem field and update in Parent workitem field

Srikanth Rinwa (133) | asked Jul 22 '12, 3:26 a.m.
Hi All,
I am using RTC version 3.0.1.2 and my requirement is I need to add the rework effort from all child workitem and automatically add the calculated value in Parent workitem.

For example WPI (Work Product Inspection) workitem has a field by name Total Rework Effort (hrs) (id: com.ibm.gbs.workitem.wpi.totalreworkeffort) and Type defined as Integer.  One Wpi may have one or more Defect workitem linked to it as Child in the Links Tab.
Defect Workitem has a field by name Rework (id: com.ibm.cammis.team.workitem.attribute.rework) and Type=Duration, this value is enter by the user.

So say one wpi has three defects created as child with rework in each defect workitem is 10min, then the parent WPI workitem field Total Rework Effort (hrs) should have 0.5 hrs (i.e. 30 mins/60 mins = 1/2 hrs).  Do suggest me how to acheive this, let me know if I need to change the Type of any the two fields.

Thanks a lot in advance
Regards
Srikanth Rinwa

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 22 '12, 4:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 I assume the question behind your statement is, can you make RTC do that and if so, how?

You can do it, by implementing a follow up action. Search the library for the RTC extensions workshop for RTC 3.0.1 and follow it to get a first example. Based on that, you can create your own participant. 

JavaScript work item customization does not work here, as far as I know, because you can't. Follow relationships. 

Also you want to search jazz.net and the Wiki for 'Participant' there are examples for example https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/PreconditionFollowupCreation. I once even found an example that followed the parent child relationship and updated the parent based on the children, but I can't find it again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.