It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrade from 3.0.1 to 4.0

Martin Lauridsen (1211211) | asked Jul 19 '12, 8:49 a.m.
 Dear community,

I am trying to set up an upgrade from 3.0.1 to 4.0. We have a distributed setup with JTS, RQM and RTC running on each their machine. We are using CentOS Linux and Tomcat with DB2 Express-C.

The first step I did was to stage a cloned environment by:

1. Copying /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer to new machines for each of the three servers
  2. Setting up /etc/hosts on each machine to mimic a closed environment with the correct URIs
  3. Back up DB2 databases and restore them on the staging machines
At point 3, I ran into trouble. When I am using the exact same DB2 installation files (v 9.75) as in the production environment, and trying to restore the DB2 databases, I get an error and I have gotten nowhere.

When I use DB2 v. 10.1, however, I have no trouble restoring the databases on each machine. However, when I start up the staged version 3.0.1 JTS/RQM/RTC, and open it up in a browser, it says I am logged in with a user with no Admin rights (we are using LDAP and I am using a valid LDAP user). In the "Server" page it says database connection is "UNAVAILABLE".

Still, I wanted to try to install v. 4.0. I installed them in /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer4 (notice the appended 4), on each of the three machines. I then run the following commands;

JTS:
./repotools-jts.sh -migration_jts_updateConfigurationFiles oldJTSHome=/opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer/server/conf
./repotools-jts.sh -addTables
./repotools-jts.sh -upgradeWarehouse

RQM/RTC:
./repotools-jazz.sh -migration_qm_updateConfigurationFiles oldApplicationHome=/opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer/server/conf ignoreJTSVersionCheck applicationContextRoot=jazz
./repotools-jazz.sh -addTables

For RQM/RTC it works fine, but when I run -addTables for JTS, I get the following error. I am suspecting this is linked together with all the other erros I've been seeing, but the error messages are massive in numbers, and I think in general it is extremely hard figuring out whats what with DB2/CLM errors:

[root@cccc27vm11 server]# ./repotools-jts.sh -addTables
Repo Tools
Provisioning using "./conf/jts/provision_profiles".
  Jazz Foundation - Core Libraries, Version 4.0 (RJF-I20120531-1400)

CRJAZ1363I Loading the configuration from "file:conf/jts/teamserver.properties".
CRJAZ1779I This server is configured as a JTS.
CRJAZ1365I The server is attempting to connect to the following database: "//localhost:50000/JTS:user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;"
CRJAZ1364I The connection to the following database was successful:
 Db Product Name: DB2/LINUXX8664
  Db Product Version: SQL10010
  Db URL: jdbc:db2://localhost:50000/JTS:user=xxxxxxxx;password=xxxxxxxx;
  Jdbc Driver Name: IBM DB2 JDBC Universal Driver Architecture
  Jdbc Driver Version: 3.57.82
CRJAZ1093I The following service class was not activated: "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.PrimitiveTransactionService"
CRJAZ1141I Cannot get the service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IServerDescriptionService".
CRJAZ1728E An unexpected error has been detected. See the log file "/opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer4/server/repotools-jts_addTables.log" for more details.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 19 '12, 10:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Martin, when 3.0.x says the DB is unavailable, this should be fixed first.

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 23 '12, 8:18 a.m.
Martin, that is a DB2 error. I would consider looking into the db2diag.log. Your error seems to indicate an issue with the table space: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.udb.doc/core/rsql0200.htm . I searched the Internet for this error and there are numerous hits. Maybe you can reveal some information there.

For backup and restore you should consider this article: https://jazz.net/library/article/795

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '12, 8:22 a.m.

And as a sidenote, we have seen issues with CLM4.0 on machines with too few memory. 4GB is the minimum required, I believe.

Martin Lauridsen commented Jul 23 '12, 9:08 a.m.

Hi Ralph, after checking the db2diag.log, it seems that there was issues with some table space, as you said. I dropped the JTS database, cleared the db2diag.log and restored it again. I got a warning that some tables were not loaded, and db2diag.log said this was due to running out of disk space. I cleaned up on the disk and now I was able to restore all databases and get 3.0.1 running as a copy. Now I am going to try upgrading to 4.0, so we will see how it goes!

permanent link
Martin Lauridsen (1211211) | answered Jul 23 '12, 8:10 a.m.
 As an extension to the last comment, I also get an error "Error fetching server status information.ID CRJAZ1505E", and the details are the following:

The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.DiagnosticRestService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.IDiagnosticExecutionService", failed to be activated.ID CRJAZ1972E
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.buildServicesMap(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:319)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:652)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.getService(ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.java:133)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:248)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:257)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getServiceForRemoteAccess(OsgiServicesManager.java:550)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.handleRequest2(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1805)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.handleRequest(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1725)
com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.AbstractTeamServerServlet.service(AbstractTeamServerServlet.java:1634)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry.internal.ServletManager$ServletWrapper.service(ServletManager.java:180)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ServletRegistration.handleRequest(ServletRegistration.java:90)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.processAlias(ProxyServlet.java:111)
org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet.internal.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:75)
org.eclipse.equinox.servletbridge.BridgeServlet.service(BridgeServlet.java:120)
com.ibm.team.repository.server.servletbridge.JazzServlet.service(JazzServlet.java:76)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:563)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:420)
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:879)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:811)
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.DiagnosticExecutionService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.IDiagnosticResultService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.buildServicesMap(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:319)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:652)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.getService(ServiceProviderActivationManagerOwner.java:133)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.OsgiServicesManager.getService(OsgiServicesManager.java:248)
... 35 more.
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.diagnostic.DiagnosticResultService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IRepositoryItemService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
... 40 more.
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IRepositoryItemAccessValidationService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
... 45 more.
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RepositoryItemAccessValidationService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.migration.IMigrationProgressService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
... 50 more.
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.migration.internal.impl.MigrationProgressService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.IServerQueryService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
... 55 more.
Caused by:
The service "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.ServerQueryService" failed to activate because a service it depends on, "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.IInternalTransactionService", failed to be activated. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1972E
... 60 more.
Caused by:
The service class "com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.TransactionService" failed during activation. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServiceRegistryException)ID CRJAZ1092I
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.bindRequiredServices(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:246)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.performActivation(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:603)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.doActivate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:665)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.activate(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:168)
... 130 more.
Caused by:
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.verticalRegistry.MappingException: Failed to get schema name for packageUri = com.ibm.team.repository (java.lang.RuntimeException)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.TransactionService.activate(TransactionService.java:66)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.AbstractService.bindRequiredServices(AbstractService.java:188)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.bindRequiredServices(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:240)
com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.internal.registry.AbstractActivationManagerOwner.performActivation(AbstractActivationManagerOwner.java:603)
... 132 more.
Caused by:
Failed to get schema name for packageUri = com.ibm.team.repository (com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.verticalRegistry.MappingException)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.GenerationContext.createSchema(GenerationContext.java:102)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.verticalRegistry.ComponentORMProvider.initSchemaMap(ComponentORMProvider.java:343)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.verticalRegistry.ComponentORMProvider.doTopDownMapping(ComponentORMProvider.java:330)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.verticalRegistry.ComponentORMProvider.getSchemaMap(ComponentORMProvider.java:1246)
... 147 more.
Caused by:
Failed to lookup the schema name for the "com.ibm.team.repository" package. (com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException)ID CRJAZ0824I
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService.lookupSchemaNameForPackage(PersistentMappingService.java:442)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService.getSchemaName(PersistentMappingService.java:359)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService.access$1(PersistentMappingService.java:353)
com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.schemagen.PersistentMappingService$3.run(PersistentMappingService.java:336)
... 163 more.
Caused by:
DB2 SQL Error: SQLCODE=-290, SQLSTATE=55039, SQLERRMC=null, DRIVER=3.57.82 (com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.SqlException)
com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.bd.a(bd.java:679)
com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.bd.a(bd.java:60)
com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.bd.a(bd.java:127)
com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.zl.b(zl.java:3760)
... 181 more.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 20 '12, 5:54 a.m.
Some considerations from DB2: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2.udb.admin.doc%2Fdoc%2Fc0005960.htm

I don't know why the DB is in use. I am not a DB2 expert, I just get along with it. Maybe you need to disconnect from the DB? If you set up an isolated test environment you have to also make sure that the databases don't get mixed up.

Comments
Martin Lauridsen commented Jul 20 '12, 6:25 a.m.

Hi Ralph, thanks for your comment. Both the production and test machines are running as virtual machines using the same CentOS and the same DB2 installation (down to using the same installation files!).

The reason I tried going with DB 10.1 is, that it is the latest version. I managed at some point, before writing the first post in this thread, to get 4.0 running using DB2 10.1, but I remember it saying that only versions 9.5 and 9.7 were supported. Thats why I chose to wipe them and start over using DB2 9.7.

At this point, my best idea is to wipe the entire test system and try DB2 9.7 again on a fresh operating system. However, I do not have the means to do this, and the guy who does is on vacation.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 21 '12, 4:19 a.m.

Please see https://jazz.net/library/article/811 for the supported versions. Hard to help here. I would also try a new setup. You need to succeed in restoring the databases first.

Martin Lauridsen commented Jul 23 '12, 5:06 a.m.

Hi Ralph, I see Express-C 9.7 is supported, so that can't be the issue. I have tried re-installing DB2 Express-C 9.7.5 again this morning, which totals for about 5-6 times now, each time giving me the same issue.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 23 '12, 5:29 a.m. | edited Jul 23 '12, 5:29 a.m.

Hard to help here. I have seen in the past that the database sometimes was not started. I have not seen issues like you have with DB2 when I used it for workshops and other material and we use DB2 9.7.x Express-C quite often in this context for some years now. One hickup that came with 9.7 was that you needed to grant Admin access for the admin user that RTC uses to access the database, even if that user had created the database himself.

Have you considered to contact support?

Martin Lauridsen commented Jul 23 '12, 8:09 a.m.

Hi Ralph, I was able to find out why DB2 failed to restore the databases: the machines only had 1 GB RAM each. I beefed that up to 4 GB for all three machines, and was successfully able to restore all databases. However, when starting up the applications copied from /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer, I still get mentioned error. First thing I see when I log in is a blue box saying "You are currently logged in to the Admin Web UI as a user without JazzAdmins permissions. Most of the functionality will be unavailable. If you believe you should have full access, please contact your administrator.". When I then go to the "Server" tab, it says "Database Status : UNAVAILABLE". Do you have any suggestions as to what I might try next?

permanent link
Martin Lauridsen (1211211) | answered Jul 20 '12, 4:06 a.m.
 Well, if you want to start at where the trouble begins, then maybe we should look at why I can restore the DB2 databases on DB2 10.1 but not on 9.7.5.

I have completed the following steps on my JTS machine:
  1. Remove any installation of JTS and DB2
  2. Install DB2 version 9.7.5. I have no errors doing this.
  3. I change the owner of the DB2 backups on the production machine so I have access to SCP  them
  4. Log in as db2inst1 user and, using SCP, copy the backed up DB2 databases "DW" and "JTS" from the production machine to the staging machine into /home/db2inst1
  5. Run the command "db2 restore database JTS from ~". Doing this, I get the following error:
SQL1224N  The database manager is not able to accept new requests, has
terminated all requests in progress, or has terminated the specified request
because of an error or a forced interrupt.
I have not been able to find any assistance on this issue anywhere on the Internet. Hopefully someone here can provide a solution.

Comments
Martin Lauridsen commented Jul 20 '12, 4:14 a.m.

Furthermore, if I afterwards issue a "db2 list database directory" command, it lists the JTS database. If I try to do "db2 connect to database JTS", it says the database is in use. I have no idea what is going on!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.