It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tomcat7 as a service

Adam Hughes (13223) | asked Jul 17 '12, 4:10 p.m.
I apologize in advance if this has been asked, but after some research I cannot find anything that matches.

Environment:

RTC installed on Windows 2008 R2 64bit

Jazz Team Server
Version 4.0 (4.0.0.RJF-I20120531-1400-r40-)

I followed the instructions on the support site for configuring Tomcat7 to run as a service. When I attempt to start the service it throws an event in the windows system log. Event ID 7024, source Service Control Manager.

"The Apache Tomcat tomcat7 service terminated with service-specific error The operation completed successfully.."

The service doesn't start.

I'm at a loss. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Thanks.

4 answers

permanent link
Dennis Schultz (55157) | answered Jul 17 '12, 9:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Take a look at this forum question and see if you are seeing the same symptoms.  The InfoCenter settings apparently assume you have 8 GB RAM.  In my case, I was running on a system with only 4 GB which is on the very low end of the recommended configuration.

Comments
Adam Hughes commented Jul 18 '12, 9:31 a.m. | edited Jul 18 '12, 10:08 a.m.

Fantastic. That did it. Much appreciated.

permanent link
Karl Weinert (2.0k52736) | answered Jul 18 '12, 9:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
To find more info on your exact error you might want to clear out the tomcat logs in <rtc-install-dir>\server\tomcat\logs, try to start the service and then see what shows up in the new logs that should be created.
I would start with the *stderr*.log as that seems contain the information that used to be in the Tomcat 5 catalina log

Based on Dennis' comment, I found some information I on Compressed references  in the Java 6 information center that might be useful. It goes into a bit more detail on the Xgc:preferredHeapBase setting. It seems that if you don't have at least 8 gigs of memory using that setting could cause some issues.

permanent link
Adam Hughes (13223) | answered Jul 18 '12, 11:24 a.m.
Interestingly the service starts fine now. However when I try to load the JTS page it gets stuck on loading. I looked at the tomcat logs and found that I was getting all sorts of out of memory errors from JAVA. I'm not sure if this is the root of my stuck on loading page, but there is clearly something amiss.

permanent link
Adam Hughes (13223) | answered Jul 18 '12, 1:38 p.m.
I seem to have gotten past this issue. I had to modify the java settings some. Here is what I ultimately ended up with that seems to have fixed it.

-Xmx8g
-Xms4g
-Xgcpolicy:gencon
-Xcompressedrefs

Initial memory pool: 256
Maximum memory pool: 8192

Now I'm off to chase down the new problem: "

message CRJAZ1394E The user ID "ADMIN" is not a member of any Jazz J2EE roles but must be a member of one to access the repository."

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.