It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Post-build deliver from ANT

Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | asked Jul 13 '12, 5:54 a.m.
edited Jul 13 '12, 9:51 a.m. by Spencer Murata (2.3k115971)
Hi,

Is it possible to trigger a post-build deliver from ANT? I would like to deliver the changes accepted/made in the build workspace to a stream.

Regards,
Bernd.

Comments
Bernd van Oostrum commented Feb 22 '13, 5:47 a.m.

When using the "Ant - Jazz Build Engine" to create a build definition, there is a posibility to configure a post-build deliver participant. However, this is not available for the "z/OS Dependency Builds" template.

Using the commandline (SCM), it is possible to do create a post-deliver as well. However, a login into the RTC-server is needed which slows down the build.

I'm looking for the ANT-task to deliver the snapshot into the stream. Does it exist?

3 answers

permanent link
Bernd van Oostrum (21725371) | answered Mar 04 '13, 3:44 a.m.
an ANT-task to deliver the snapshot into the stream. Does it exist?

permanent link
Ulf Buchner (3182213) | answered Aug 08 '12, 10:40 a.m.
Hi Spencer,

We build using an ANT JBE build definition, creating a snapshot during the build. We would like to use the post-build deliver participant to deliver this snapshot to the SAME stream that the repository workspace that was built flows from. But as I have read, when using the post-build deliver participant the affected components are REPLACED with the baselines in the snapshot. This implies (as I would think) that any changes that are delivered to the stream during the build  are lost.

As an example, when we perform a build a snapshot is created, say "V1", with baselines on the components. During the build changes are delivered to the stream by developers. After the build the component is replaced by the contents of snapshot (baseline) "V1". Before the replacement a baseline is created on the component automatically, named "backup before replace V1". So the changes that were checked in are lost, because they are in baseline "backup before replace V1" and not in the current baseline, "V1".

Is this correct? How can we deliver the snapshot and still not lose changes made during the build?

Thanks

Comments
Spencer Murata commented Aug 08 '12, 4:38 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That sounds correct. Why are you checking in and delivering items to the same stream during the build though? Sounds like you might be better off with using the Ant tasks to accomplish exactly what you want.

Ulf Buchner commented Aug 09 '12, 2:51 a.m.

We have one stream everyone is working on (Release X). Sometimes we build a current version of this release which will then be deployed to test. But every couple of hours we do a scheduled build as well. During these builds people may check-in the changes they made in the meanwhile.

I think that the post-build deliver feature is only to be used to flow changes to a special stream. You also get a warning when flowing from multiple builds to the same stream, which indicates to me that there is some danger here ;-)

Can you tell me how the Ant task to do a deliver is called? I seem to have troubles to find good documentation about Ant commands in a build...

Thanks once again!

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Jul 13 '12, 9:56 a.m.
 Are you using the JBE Ant build definition?  If so there is a post-build deliver participant which should do exactly what you want.  Without using the JBE ANT definition, you will have to implement the post build deliver via the SCM CLI ( https://jazz.net/library/article/620/)

Comments
Bernd van Oostrum commented Jul 13 '12, 10:07 a.m.

No, I'm using Hudson/Jenkins build definition. Thanks.

Regards, Bernd.

Spencer Murata commented Jul 13 '12, 10:44 a.m.

Ah ok. We haven't implemented a post-build deliver participant that the Hudson definition can use, so you will have to put something at the end of the build.xml to deliver the changes via the SCM CLI.

Bernd van Oostrum commented Aug 08 '12, 10:47 a.m.

ok. I was trying to find a way to make it independent from the chosen engine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.